American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Senior DevOps Engineer
Millions of customers depend on our infrastructure, we depend on you.
The success of our entire company rests on our systems, networks, and people. Our Infrastructure and DevOps engineers know that delivering on that promise takes a robust, scalable and efficient Infrastructure. So if you’re an expert in software deployment, infrastructure, and know the value of supporting technology and the people who depend on it, build you career here.
Build a strong infrastructure and a solid career.
The best infrastructure isn’t built in a day or even a year and it’s certainly not built without a team. Here’s just some of what you’ll do:
- Architect enterprise ready solution from the ground up
- Develop, build and deploy a comprehensive monitoring solution for the Big Data environment and related applications using a combination of in-house software and generic commercial and/or open source solutions.
- Modify and customize open source systems to make them fit American Express' needs
- Ensure compliance with security standards, and assist in audit preparations.
- Develop, document and implement enterprise standards and procedures
- Monitor environment and computing resources for reporting and capacity planning.
- Maintain systems documentation
- Function as an active member of an agile DevOps team, consistently contributing to the team and its Agile practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
- Adopt DevOps methods and roles in support of monitoring and automation tools/services
- Assist in troubleshooting various system, network, and application issues using Splunk data
- Follow Incident/Problem/Change Management, SOX and PCI processes
- Maintain and enhance multiple Splunk environments (e.g., Splunk 6.x, Red Hat Linux)
- Assist various teams with data onboarding into Splunk
- Assist users with Splunk queries, dashboards, and applications for use by Operations, Development, and Management personnel
- Mentor Splunk users and administrators
- Work closely, at a deep technical-level, with engineering teams to ensure solution designs are consistent with American Express Technology’s architectural vision, platform/product roadmaps, enterprise standards, guidelines and principles
- Perform all activities in a timely manner, as required, to contribute toward Enterprise-level compliance of internal/external processes, standards and regulatory controls.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong application development skills in Java or similar language (Go, nodejs, Python or Ruby)
- Strong knowledge of Application Development process and Agile Methods
- Strong knowledge of Linux administration: configuration and tuning, networking, logging, storage, and installation and integration of third-party software
- Ability to write scripts in one or more languages. (shell, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc…)
- Knowledge of monitoring applications and servers with any of these systems (Icinga, Sensu, Nagios, AppDynamics, Dynatrace)
- Knowledge of Splunk administration and maintenance.
- Knowledge of Splunk cluster construction and administration.
- Knowledge of Splunk application development and optimization.
- Familiarity with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and 7.
- Experience creating and supporting highly available enterprise production environments.
- Fundamental knowledge of TCP/IP networking, subnetting and routing concepts, and distributed computing concepts;
- Ability to self-direct personal activities to achieve goals and meet commitments
- Self-motivated leader with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in cross-functional and inter-organizational teams.
- Ability to persuade and influence others without direct control.
- Able to manage multiple projects tasks and those of supporting team members needed to meet multiple demands in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Strong analytical, logical reasoning
- Strong troubleshooting skills and experience working within a heterogeneous environment.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and independently
- Ability to automate processes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to influence cross-functional teams, business and/or vendor partners, and technology leaders
- Able to develop/make presentations, facilitate discussions and provide technical demonstrations in 1:1, small group and large group settings.
- 3+ years’ experience in Splunk production administration
- Experience managing team/workgroup activities
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer engineering preferred, or experience in related field required.
- Familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes or OpenShift is a plus
- Familiarity of SOX, PCI DSS and other regulatory standards helpful
- Ability to design, and present training to varying levels of users.
- Experience with any of the following: Puppet, Ansible, Elastic, Graphite, Influx DB, Kafka
- Prior experience in DevOps or DevOps-like environment (Practices that emphasize the collaboration and communication of both software developers and operations engineers)
- Working Experience working with Scrum or Kanban-related tools and concepts (e.g., Jira, Rally, Epics, Stories, estimating story points, etc.)
- Contribute to the analysis of business, application, and technical infrastructure requirements.
- Design, build, enhance and integrate the infrastructure required to support various platforms and our business portfolio
- Support initiatives that deliver workable end-to-end infrastructure solutions
- Participates in test planning and execution
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Emerging Technologies
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Programming/Software Development
- SDLC Methodologies and Practices
- System/Platform Domain Knowledge
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time