American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Strategic Category Manager, Purchasing
Strategic Category Manager
Global Supply Management (GSM) is responsible for helping American Express maximize its purchasing power. Category Manager’s role is to develop and grow relationships with the business partners to gain context, business unit knowledge, goals, issues and opportunities. Develop strategic forward thinking category plan with multi-year value generating portfolio of sourcing initiatives to enable the business success. This role will primarily support the Human Resources, Risk Information and Collection Services Categories.
- Develop and grow strong relationships with the business partners to gain business unit knowledge, goals, issues and opportunities
- Develop strategic, forward thinking global category plan with multi- year value generating portfolio of sourcing initiatives to enable the business success
- Bring external insight, innovative ideas and an enterprise view on market trends, competitive landscape value generation and strategic sourcing opportunities
- Create a multi- year value plan and manage portfolio of initiatives within the category.
- Influence requirements, shape demand, advise business how to capture the most value from supplier relations
For subset of “high value” and/or “high risk” transactions, develop and own negotiation plans; execute negotiation process, driving commercial and legal terms and conditions and value opportunities – in partnership with Contract Management team
- Build strong partnership with select strategic suppliers and manages them effectively.
- Developing a category review cycle to refresh strategy and ensure alignment with business partners on a regular basis
- Monitor total spend across the business to leverage global spend where applicable
- Act as a point of contact for select Business Partners.
- Support a variety of American Express Business Units in the areas of Human Resources, Collection Services and Risk Information/Data services.
- Ability to travel 10%
- B.S. / B. A. required
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant business experience, 7-8 preferred
- MBA or Graduate degree preferred
- Procurement/sourcing process knowledge
- Experience leading and participating on cross-functional and/or global teams
- Outstanding relationship management skills able to become a true business partner and a trusted advisor
- Executive presence and ability to work with colleagues and suppliers at all levels
- Strong general manager, including strategic thinking, financial acumen, negotiation skills
- Deep understanding of the market opportunities and the broader business and regulatory issues within the Human Resources, Risk Information and Collection Categories to be able to capitalize on market changes and future trends
- Excellent people skills, including relationship management, communication, negotiation, influencing, planning, presentation and motivation
- Collaborative mindset
- Ability to manage day-to-day business priorities along with long-term strategic deliverables
- Positive attitude, flexibility, and ability to deal with ambiguity and rapid change
- Consulting experience with these high risk categories a plus.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time