American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Staff Engineer - Authorizations
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our Technology and Product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative payment products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media, join our transformation team!
- 50%~60% of the time spent on coding and/or hands-on Technical implementation.
- Work with Staff Architects to define solution requirements and Technical implementation approach.
- Drive both high-level and detailed technical designs and conduct design reviews as needed.
- Provide Technical guidance to other Software Engineers at all levels.
- Implement new, highly scalable platform components.
- Delivering Software solutions that meet or exceed customer and stakeholder expectations by fostering and driving innovation and experimentation within Technology.
- Actively participate in team and company-wide architecture and Engineering discussions and forums.
- Employ Technical expertise to help team members overcome Technical problems.
- Adhere to release/project schedule and sprint milestones.
- Analyze, design, program, debug, and modify software for use in local, networked, cloud-based or Internet-related environments.
- Responsible for health and quality of the code across the portfolio, including leadership over SCM, functional testing, and CI/CD tool integration.
- This person will be supporting the Authorizations Technical Platform or its significant application components.
- Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Enable integrated teams to deliver Software and Hardware solutions in support of key product initiatives.
- Ability to share Engineering subject matter expertise with Architects and other Engineers.
- Ability to adapt solutions to meet the broader needs of the portfolio.
- Develop and deliver impactful new technologies.
- Be a Change Agent and willing to challenge status quo while helping to drive the necessary changes.
- Introduces new Engineering techniques and solutions.
- 8+ years of active Engineering experience in a complex environment and/or comparable experience.
- Successful Engineering and deployment of enterprise-grade Technology assets in an Agile product environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, or related field required; Advanced Degree preferred.
- Experience with Scrum, Kanban, or another Agile application development methodology.
- Hands-on coding experience in the platform’s primary Technology stack (relevant frameworks, languages, OS libraries, etc.).
- Expertise in building fault-tolerant, scalable solutions that are performed at a global enterprise scale.
- Full understanding of Service Oriented Architecture design principles and implementation patterns.
- Ability to construct enterprise-grade APIs using state-of-the-art techniques and best practices (REST, JSON, XML, etc.).
- Proficient in cross-platform integration.
- Able to diagnose, resolve, and prevent the recurrence of system outage.
- Advanced Engineering skills with wide-ranging experience; able to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- SDLC Methodologies and Practices.
- System/Platform Domain Knowledge.
- Programming Languages and Frameworks.
- In-Memory database and grid computing.
- Java, C/C++, Python.
- Hadoop Big Data (Hive/Scala/R).
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue Visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time