American Express Careers
- Provide legal advice and win the confidence/trust of business clients and colleagues by demonstrating high quality legal work, personal excellence, integrity, and communication ability.
- Proactively protect the brand and reputation of American Express by providing invaluable legal advice and guidance to management supported by energetic internal advocacy.
- Represent the company with credibility and persuasiveness in external forums such as regulatory and industry meetings and contract negotiations.
- Draft, review, negotiate and amend all types of business contracts for the company.
- Review and consult on product development and marketing programs and executions.
- Advise on the impact of new and existing laws, regulations and codes on current or proposed business activities.
- Proactively support colleagues in Compliance with legal interpretation.
- Advise on and manage litigation and resolution of disputes and claims with clients, partners, regulators or other parties.
- Provide strategic and tactical guidance and advice to management, whether on specific projects or transactions or in relation to standard business processes.
- Manage legal expenses to budget for allocated markets and projects.
- Carry out reporting and miscellaneous administrative duties as appropriate.
1. Experience working in a law firm or in-house legal department. Attorney licensed in Japan or overseas preferred.
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Japanese, in particular the ability to explain complex legal matters clearly and concisely to non-specialists and to gain credibility with senior and/or difficult clients.
3. Ability to maintain composure and clear thinking through stressful, confrontational and/or fast-changing situations.
4. Demonstrated success in making connections and foreseeing wider implications when evaluating individual line-of-business strategies and activities.
5. Quick decision-making and/or time management skills depending on the situation and client needs.
6. A positive attitude, growth mindset, will to win and a team player.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time