American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr Infrastructure Engineer I
Millions of customers depend on our infrastructure,
we depend on you.
The success of our entire company rests on our systems, networks, and people. Our Infrastructure engineers know that delivering on that promise takes a robust, scalable and efficient Infrastructure. So if you’re an expert on infrastructure and know the value of supporting technology and the people who depend on it, build you career here.
Build a strong infrastructure and a solid career.
The best infrastructure isn’t built in a day or even a year and it’s certainly not built without a team. The Converged Infrastructure Storage Engineering Team delivers efficient, effective, and standardized infrastructure solutions. This organization delivers enterprise storage that raise the availability of the application infrastructure. The team owns and drives enterprise standards to ensure world class data centers and highly resilient solutions. The Storage Engineering team is a highly motivated and top performing team at American Express. We are aggressively targeting best in class storage architectures and exciting new methodologies to deliver excellence.
The position enables the technical delivery of a set of enterprise projects. This person will work with the application teams to design, manage the acquisition, installation and configuration of the technical components of the solution. Responsible for ensuring that storage infrastructure solutions adhere to technical standards. The role will be a member of an infrastructure product engineering team reporting to an Engineering Director.
· Ability to think strategically and drive value to the business
· Serve as a leader and mentor to Storage Engineering team staff, also working with strategic suppliers/vendors, internal customers and senior management.
· Lead the architecture, design, and development of storage solutions as they fit within the enterprise strategy.
· Work directly with internal teams in areas of consulting, technology evaluations and internal storage standards.
· Provide architecture and engineering experience testing new equipment and documenting reference architectures.
· Initiate architectural improvements with regards to emerging technologies.
· Create and maintain strategic & tactical plans, and research and identify the most effective products and vendors to reach plan objectives.
· Work with Directors and peers to formulate storage architecture, strategy and roadmap.
· Provide technical expertise on performance related storage array assessments.
· Contribute to the development of storage architecture documents, product evaluation scorecards, and other technical documentation.
· Ideal candidates will possess expert practical knowledge in monitoring technologies and proficient in at least four or more of the following areas:
· Open Stack Cinder Drivers (OSP 10)
· Experience with NFS v3, v4, and iSCSI
· Experience setting up Federated Object Storage Name Spaces and Buckets
· Knowledge of Python Scripting and API integration
· Perform Masking and Volume creation in EMC, Netapp, IBM, and/or Hitachi
· Experience with storage virtualization
· SAN Monitoring
· EMC Powerpath or other muti-pathing
· FC HBA Emulex/QLogic
· Replication with SRDF, Recover point
· Experience with VMWare, Windows, Linux, AIX, Solaris, KVM, Open Stack
· Capacity / Performance Planning for SAN and Storage Networks
· Experience with NAS environments
· Experience with Netapp, Oracle ZFS and Data Domain and EMC a plus
· Experience with Open Stack Cinder, Swift, and/or Ceph a must
· Work closely with application teams to define, frame and capture business needs
· Participate in the storage infrastructure design and selection process
· Align customer needs to the evolution of the storage platform product roadmap
· Oversee the diagnosis and correction of storage infrastructure problems
· Provide internal analysis and support to ensure proper escalation during storage outages or periods of degraded system performance
· Conduct storage infrastructure performance and security assessments
· Support the certification and accreditation of storage infrastructure on customer networks
· Provide value-added solutions for business, both tactically and strategically
· Lead customers to understand how current or envisioned processes align to industry best practice
· Define processes, documentation and engineering diagrams for technical and operations support
· Prioritize, complete and oversee projects within budgetary and scheduling guidelines
· Ensure issues are identified, tracked, reported on and resolved in a timely manner
· Responsible for the quality of deliverables in terms of the technical design, implementation, testing and adherence to technical compliance standards.
· Provide lead support and direction to the team responsible for the overall health and maintenance of all infrastructure assets
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills/knowledge
· Specific technical experience working with one or more of the following areas: VMWare, Open Stack, Unix, Linux, Solaris, Windows, etc.
· Experienced knowledge of one or more of the following: infrastructure and server theories, principles, and concepts, application infrastructure and standards, networking fundamentals, storage management (i.e. SAN) design and support, databases (i.e. IMS, DB2, SQL Server, Oracle, Couch Base, etc.), middleware technologies (i.e. WebSphere or JBoss)
· Experienced knowledge using the core tools used in the planning, analyzing, designing, building, testing, configuring and maintaining of assigned application(s)
· Core knowledge of platform delivery methodology (Agile, Scrum, Agile XP, Test-Driven Development, Waterfall, etc.)
Are you up for the challenge?
- Bachelors of Science or equivalents experience required.
- 6 or more years of experience with Storage Systems required
At the core of Infrastructure Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Emerging Technologies
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Programming/Software Development
- SDLC Methodologies and Practices
- System/Platform Domain Knowledge
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window:
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time