American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Team Lead, Digital Acquisition
Mobile & Web Engineering is looking for an experienced engineer to help lead the Digital Acquisition Platform Excellence engineering group. Our group builds the core capabilities that power the digital acquisition software patform and enable the journey of a prospective customer of American Express. This position will report to the Director of Platform Excellence.
Your primary responsibility in this role is to lead a team of engineers to deliver software solutions for customer acquisition. While hands-on coding is involved, the job also includes architecture, design, project management and mentoring of team members. At the end of the day, you are responsible for making sure your team ships high quality features to production every sprint.
If you were to join our team, these are the kinds of things you'd do:
- Analyze feature requests with product owners
- Balance the competing needs to keep the lights on for existing systems, maintain regulatory compliance, modernize technology, and develop new business features
- Work with architects to devise solutions for business and technical needs
- Define objectives and development plans for program increments and sprints
- Guide team members in designing and implementing software solutions
- Solve production issues in collaboration with our production support team
- Mentor team members to improve their engineering skills
- Write code yourself when time allows
Requirements for this position:
- Several years' work experience as a hands-on developer designing complex systems, writing code, shipping features to production and operating them there
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills - able to explain technical concepts to designers, product managers and business people in ways that are meaningful to them
- Highly organized and able to multitask effectively
- Able to weigh several, often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a high-pressure environment
- A thorough understanding of how the web works and modern web application architectures
Also critical to your success:
- Finding joy in mentoring others and helping them grow in their careers
- The insight to notice problems in how we work, and the initiative to fix them
- The ability to see and to understand the larger context in which your team works and to craft solutions within that context
- Adaptability to changes in product requirements, organizational structures and business conditions
- A strong belief in your personal responsibility for ensuring quality craftsmanship
- An open, collaborative spirit
- Hands-on experience with React, Node, Redis and/or Kafka
- Hands-on experience building serverless systems in AWS or another cloud platform
- Published documentation and/or publicly-accessible endpoints for an API you designed and built yourself
- A record of public speaking or other industry community involvement
- Significant and long-lasting contribution to open source projects
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time