American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Manager - Operational Risk Excellence and Remediation
RIM Operational Risk Excellence and Remediation – Manager/Sr. Manager
The Risk & Information Management (RIM) Operational Risk Excellence team is part of the first line of defense with respect to Operational Risk and Risk Remediation. This manager/sr. manager role will lead a team responsible for Risk Remediation for Corrective Action Plans (both RIM and non-RIM) in the U.S., as well as other critical areas of the Operational Risk Excellence program.
The primary responsibility of the Risk Remediation Team is to identify and remediate customers who were impacted by operational risk events, in part by executing standardized protocols and designing custom procedures. Core responsibilities include ensuring that the remediation of CAPs follows established protocols and timelines, optimizing and driving automation of processes, and both designing and building new processes as well as migrating existing processes to Big Data Platforms.
Other critical and core responsibilities tied to the overall Operational Risk Excellence program include the development and implementation of strategies designed to prevent breakdowns, detect and respond to potential breakages quickly, and enable sustainable growth and best-in-class customer experience while maintaining an effective and efficient control environment.
The incumbent will also be required to respond to operational breakdowns with a high level of urgency and discipline, collaborating with key partners in Compliance, GCO, GRBC, and across Risk & Information Management.
• Lead a team of two analysts
• Identify opportunities and manage projects to automate risk remediation and operational risk processes in order to increase efficiency
• Lead the migration and optimization of risk remediation processes to Big Data Platforms.
• Apply sound judgment in the evaluation of risk controls and effectively challenge adequacy of controls
• Incorporate process reengineering methodologies to create capacity through driving efficiency and identifying process & control enhancements
• Build data-driven insightful analytics to identify opportunities to build robust controls
• Collaborate with partners across geographies to promote an effective risk management culture by proactively identifying areas of operational risk across processes and capabilities
• Actively monitor trends of operational risk events and report to senior leadership
• Understanding of the Operational Risk infrastructure, Corrective Action timelines, and Compliance requirements
• Knowledge of American Express Risk Management systems
• 2+ years in an analytical/quantitative role preferably in RIM or Operational Excellence
• Experience, certification, or academic focus in reengineering or root-cause analysis (e.g., Industrial Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Six Sigma Black belt)
• Ability to envision ways to leverage existing capabilities/data to reduce risk events and associated remediation expense.
• Ability to communicate effectively with cross-functional partners in Operations, Risk Strategy, Decision Science, and Technology.
• Experience with SQL.
• Strong prioritization, organizational, and project management skills.
• Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree is preferred
• Experience leading a team.
• Knowledge of Enterprise-wide Operational Risk Management Policy
• Familiarity with operational risk at American Express
• Understanding of process mapping
• Experience developing process management metrics
• Experience with SAS, Java, Python, or HQL.
• Experience with or strong understanding of technical development and process development methodologies such as Agile, Method I, Six Sigma Design
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time