American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Mobile & Web Engineering is looking for talented backend engineers to join the Digital Acquisition Platform Excellence engineering group. We build the core capabilities that power the digital acquisition software platform and enable the journey of a prospective customer of American Express. This position will report to the Director of Platform Excellence.
In this role, you will use your extensive knowledge of Java, microservices, and API design to build a variety of technical capabilities for internal and external users. You will create performant, highly available, mission-critical web services to power user experiences in the digital acquisition platform.
If you were to join our team, these are the kinds of things you'd do:
· Collaborate with product owners to understand business needs and conceive features to address them
· Work in a cross-functional team with other engineers to design, build, test and deploy microservices and batch programs written in Java and potentially other languages
· Review colleagues' code with an eye toward performance, reliability and maintainability
· Help our production support team address issues encountered in production and fix defects when discovered
· Continuously learn about new technologies and help keep the entire group abreast of industry developments and evolving best practices
· Mentor other engineers and be mentored in turn
Requirements for this position:
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
· 3+ years of software development experience, primarily with Java
· Strong Java fundamentals (including Java 8 features)
· Hands-on experience building components of service-oriented architectures, likely using microservices communicating with REST or RPC APIs
· Hands-on experience with dependency injection frameworks (Spring, Guice)
· Hands-on experience with Git and collaborative workflows (gitflow and other branching models, pull request-based code reviews)
· Comfort programming in a Unix-based environment
· Basic familiarity with shell scripting and Unix system programming
· Familiarity with agile methodologies and practices such as Scrum/Kanban, iterations, user stories and development flows using continuous delivery, and automated testing
· A thorough understanding of data security including session-based/token-based authentication, multi-layered security and defense against known attacks such as SQL injection
· A drive to stay up-to-date with the latest technology for web development, including new Java language feature and frameworks, containerization, and innovation in other languages/platforms
Also critical to your success:
· The insight to notice problems in how we work, and the initiative to fix them
· The ability to see and to understand the larger context in which your team works and to craft solutions within that context
· Adaptability to changes in product requirements, organizational structures and business conditions
· A strong belief in your personal responsibility for ensuring quality craftsmanship
· An open, collaborative spirit
· Hands-on experience with popular scripting languages like Node JS, Ruby and Python
· Strongly-held opinions on the Java ecosystem
· Experience using other JVM languages (Closure, Scala, Kotlin)
· Experience with DDD (Domain Driven Design)
· Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time