American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Are you an expert in payments? Are you commercially minded and a great negotiator? If you are this could be your next move.
American Express depends on this team to enable card acceptance and identify & implement products and services, frequently in customer-facing situations. Interpersonal, communication, influencing and service skills are important for success in this team’s role. In this position, you must maintain deep and current knowledge about the payments industry, market trends, new & existing technologies, products & services and the structure of American Express and customer organizations.
The Payments Consultant NZ plays a vital role in driving the success of the Global Merchant Services in the market by being the voice of our external partners; merchants, processors and vendors. This high-impact, high-visibility role will work directly with our external partners and internally across Global Merchant Service department and other cross lines of business within the Amex organization to identify and deliver value through payment solutions that drive premium economics and a better customer experience.
As the successful individual you will be responsible for the strategy development and programme, managing the delivery of new payment platforms and products across the market, through close partnership with local and global teams.
This role demands a dynamic, experienced and persuasive operator. A track record of complex problem solving, developing and leveraging strong business relationships and flawless project execution coupled with a consultative approach to sales will be essential for success.
- In conjunction with the ANZ GMS team you will develop and implement a payments strategy for the NZ market which encompasses:
- Migrating markets key customers to global, point of arrival, payments infrastructure that is more available, secure and supports emerging payment products
- The deployment of new payment capabilities such as EMV, Contactless and Mobile Payments
- The economical management of card acceptance infrastructure
- The management of Payment Service Providers that provide online card acceptance capabilities
- Industry knowledge and business development
- Maintain and develop deep knowledge of the payments industry, anticipate and communicate trends to assist in strategic decision making.
- Use competitive information to position the unique value, features and benefits of American Express products and services. Attend product training sessions throughout the year to deepen knowledge and understanding of network assets and capabilities
- Conducts independent research and gather marketplace and industry data from: Trade journals & websites, Financial Reports (understand revenue/cost drivers), Payments Industry Publications
- Identify opportunities to leverage relationships between strategic merchant executives and American Express leadership
- Resolving technical payment escalations,
- Providing proactive payment consultancy,
- Enabling strategic, market payment solutions e.g. Contactless, and
- Enabling specific, value add payment solutions e.g. Raw Data.
To be successful in this role you should be able to strongly demonstrate the following key competencies:
- Carry out systematic and rational analysis to identify the root cause of problems. Be prepared to challenge the status quo and drive innovation. Makes informed judgments. Generates creative ideas/solutions. Knows when to adopt existing ideas and when to invent.
- Proactively anticipate customer needs and identifies their specific requirements.
- Promote AXP products and seeks opportunities to improve existing business.
- Ensure the customer experience is positive and effective to enhance the American Express brand.
- Maintain commitment and remain positive in the face of setbacks and obstacles. Keep difficulties in perspective and remain positive. Be authentic, approachable, open and honest.
- Current and emerging payment solutions,
- Program or project management - Leading or performing within project teams
- Consultative Selling – or similar selling model, techniques
- Ability to learn and apply quickly, particular with technology
- Effective communication internally and up to the c-suite with external partners and customers.
- Demonstrate proficiency and balance between both a sales/relationship type role and a technology SME.
- Represent the business interest with both internal and external technology organisations.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time