American Express Careers
Director, Design Language System
Director, Design Language System
At American Express we are focused on providing the best customer experience everyday through a differentiated set of products and services. With our mix of assets like rewards, benefits, and members only perks, we are re-imagining how commerce and experiences converge in a more modern, digital and connected world.
In order to deliver on a seamless and connected customer experience across channels, the Enterprise Digital Platform team is driving the roadmap for the core platform capabilities, the One Amex platform, that will enable this experience across the enterprise globally. We are looking for a Director, Design Language System (DLS), who will drive the vision and strategy for the core design components that will be utilized by the design teams across the enterprise to drive consistency in the digital customer experiences. This role should have a strong mix of product and design background to create a vision for the DLS as a product that is utilized by design teams designing user experiences across the enterprise and across technologies ranging from web to native apps. This role will be critical in driving the enterprise adoption of the DLS by providing the necessary training and education for onboarding using the DLS as well as incorporating the feedback from the various design teams into the DLS. It is the responsibility of the Director to establish best practices, design thinking, and processes that drive best-in-class digital experiences that adhere to accessible standards and brand consistency.
You’ll work among high performing design, product and engineering teams. We are looking for someone who is deeply inquisitive, enjoys creative problem solving, has a strong attention to details, has an entrepreneurial background and a maniacal focus on driving results.
Does the above sound like you?
- Be a though leader both internally and externally by establishing and maintaining a vision and roadmap for the DLS
- Influencer, can advocate for design overall
- Has strong collaboration skills to work across the enterprise to obtain feedback and evolve the DLS
- Drive the adoption and use of the DLS across the enterprise
- Provide career development and coaching for the design team
- Ground ideas in data-driven solutions by partnering with our User Experience Research team and running tests on the experiences.
- Transform ideas, business opportunities, partner feedback, and research into a vision that provides a clear, useful, and desirable outcome for our customers
- Champion agile values within the Design team, and implement proven methodologies for collaboration and integration with the Product and Engineering teams
- Be a passionate advocate for the customer
- Manage relationships with internal partners
- 10+ years design experience / 5+ of which should be in web and native app technologies
- Good mix of product, design, technical and process skills
- Proven track record of leading teams inside of a corporate environment
- Experience working in a heavily regulated industry (financial services is preferred)
- Ability to ruthlessly prioritize work streams across a diverse set of initiatives
- Ability to clearly communicate to business partners, agencies, and external stakeholders how design delivers on user and business goals
- Clear understanding of both qualitative and quantitative metric-driven results
- Exceptional skills in ideation, sketching, wireframing, user flows, service maps, and information architecture
- Significant experience shifting legacy workflows towards agile values using lean methodologies and integrating design into the product workflows.
- Ability to learn quickly and provide UX leadership in a dynamic and matrixed environment
- Having implemented a Design Language System at an Enterprise is a plus
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time