American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Senior Software Engineer - Java/Python, Hadoop
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. Centric to it is Big Data and batch/real-time analytical solutions leveraging transformational technologies (Hadoop, HDFS, MapReduce, Spark, Hive, HBase, Pig, etc.) to deliver innovative solutions across multiple business units (e.g., GIM, EDA, GCP, Loyalty, etc.). So if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to –
Owns all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications
• Performs hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems
• Functions as Senior member of an agile team and helps drive consistent development practices wrt tools, common components, and documentation
Typically spends 80% of time writing code and testing, and remainder of time collaborating with stakeholders through ongoing product/platform releases
• Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other Amex systems and platforms within the supported domains
• Writes code and unit tests, works on API specs, automation, and conducts code reviews and testing
• Performs ongoing refactoring of code, utilizes visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and deliver continuous improvement - Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
• Provides continuous support for ongoing application availability
• Works closely with product owners on blueprints and annual planning of feature sets that impact multiple platforms and products
• Works with product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues.
QualificationsThis high energy Engineer must have:
• Education- B.Tech/B.E/CSE/MCA
• 8+ years of software development experience with proven hands-on experience in BigData technologies
• Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods
• Experience with design and coding across one or more platforms and languages as appropriate
• Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
• Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and challenges, and articulate solutions
• Displays understanding of different Algorithms & Machine Learning techniques and their application in the Customer Marketing domain.
• Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems
• Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation
• High energy, demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies, and takes pride in how fast they develop working software
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
• Demonstrated experience with object-oriented design and coding with variety of languages
• Knack to guide/mentor other team members in both technology and domain.
• Strong programming knowledge in Java/Python (Preferred) or C / Java
• Experience working on any Hadoop distribution, such as Mapr, Cloudera, Hortonworks and have at least coded in Hive, Pig, Java M/R, Spark for 2 years or more, will be an added advantage.
• Solid understanding of data structures, Algorithms & Design Patters will be a plus
• Understanding and experience with UNIX / Shell / Perl / Python scripting
• Strong analytical ability
• Excellent communication skills.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time