American Express Careers
Sr. Data Engineer
Today, there’s a business advantage hiding in plain sight, and you’ll find it in data. Our Data Engineers know how to use the latest technology to design, evaluate, debug and manage the data that leads to better decisions, a stronger company, and higher customer satisfaction. So if you’re not intimidated by the data explosion, engineer your career here.
There’s no end to the data that’s created every day and the opportunities you find here. But these are just some of your responsibilities:
- Document data requirements/data stories and maintain data models
- Support the management of data assets according to enterprise standards, guidelines and policies
- Help build and enhance the database design that supports our business portfolio
- Work collaboratively with business and product teams
- Identify opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
Are you up for the challenge?
Focus: Leads design, development, troubleshooting, evaluating, modifying, deployment and documentation of all data components (data architecture, logical and physical data models,database objects and database administration) that meet the needs of customer-facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end user applications.
Organizational Context: Member of a database management team or database support team reporting to an Engineering Director or Director of Technical Delivery. May have people leadership responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field required; advanced degree preferred
- [5+] years of software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience
- Experience with design and development across one or more database management systems
- Understanding of Big data / NOSQL design and development with variety of data stores
- Requires Oracle 11G/12C experience and certification, 5+ years of experience working as an Oracle DBA
- Experience as a database administrator, developing and supporting large OLTP and/or OLAP enterprise systems
- Familiarity with the Agile development methodology and the DBA role, as well as other development project roles, such as Business Analyst and Data Architect roles within the methodology
- Strong troubleshooting and performance tuning skills with ODA and EXADATA Appliances
- Experience with database engineering activities, including installation and configuration of DBMS software
- Operating System: UNIX, Linux, Windows
- Hardware: Oracle Database Appliance (ODA), Oracle Exadata Database Machine(EXADATA)
- Database Automation - CI/CD & DevOps
- RDBMS: Oracle, PostgreSQL
- NoSQL experience: Couchbase
- Replication Technology: Oracle Goldengate, Apache Kafka
At the core of Data Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Database Design
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- SDLC Methodologies and Practices
- Business Analysis
- Data Analysis
- Data Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Functions as leading member of an agile team and manages data assets as per the enterprise standards, guidelines and policies. Typically spends 60% of time in database development and testing and remainder of time collaborating with stakeholders through ongoing product/platform releases.
- Communicates and works collaboratively with business and product teams to support changes and implementation
- Works with product team to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of data requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
- Partner with delivery architects and engineers to design optional data tier solutions to meet platform objectives and goal
- Stays abreast of new DBMS features and functions and drive adoption across Amex to leverage product capabilities
- Influence vendors to provide solutions and features to meet Amex needs
- Contributes to decisions about tools, methods and approaches
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time