American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Legal Program Analyst - (Regulatory Monitoring)
Do the right thing for our customers, our company and your career.
The General Counsel's Organisation (GCO) is American Express's in-house legal team providing support to its business partners. In the International regional, the GCO is comprised of more than 90 legal staff based in locations in Europe, the Asia Pacific region, Latin America and Canada. In Europe, there are more than 45 lawyers, paralegals and other staff, with the main base of operations being in London.
This role will form part of a central team in the International GCO.
This role carries day-to-day responsibility for the smooth and effective discharge of part of the GCO’s role in the American Express Compliance Risk Management process in International jurisdictions, in particular in connection with legal and regulatory monitoring activities, development of a legal inventory program and new product approval processes.
- Leading the central function supporting and administering the Regulatory Development Monitoring (RDM) process including:
- coordinating RDM meetings and updates;
- leading RDM meetings and recording actions and updates;
- providing training to RDM users and building internal process documentation;
- maintaining the RDM central repository of Country Charters, RDM Guidelines, RDM training materials and Country Trackers;
- continually reviewing the effectiveness of the program, identifying areas for improvement and standardisation;
- liaising with vendors involved in the provision of RDM related services and budget management;
- creating reports, dashboards and heat maps regarding regulatory developments and trends; and
- maintaining awareness of external developments, service providers and technology solutions related to horizon scanning and regulatory monitoring.
- Assist in the delivery, development and maintenance of the Global Legal Inventory (GLI), including coordinating GCO tasks (approvals, certifications, answering queries) in conjunction with the Compliance department, managing external counsel support, work scheduling, budget management and dealing with ad hoc queries.
- Providing support for GCO’s role in connection with New Product Approval (NPA), including identifying regulatory requirements applicable to new products and the linkages between RDM, GLI and NPA.
- Lead and otherwise support training for GCO and other stakeholders regarding RDM, GLI and NPA.
- Take on ad-hoc tasks for the benefit of the broader GCO.
- In addition to the principal accountabilities the Legal Program Analyst will provide support for the GCO Operations Team and their work, including managing and contributing to tasks such as:
- process mapping, definition and refinements;
- legal technology initiatives with both existing and new technology solutions; and
- data analytics concerning outside counsel engagements and Key Performance Indicators for the department.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Fluent in English.
- Proficient in one or more other European languages (desirable).
- Familiarity with a commercial legal, risk or compliance environment.
- Keen interest in legal developments, particularly in financial services.
- Project management experience (desirable).
- Familiarity with Excel and Sharepoint (desirable).
- IT literate and interested in learning about developments in the regulatory technologies space.
Ideal Personal Attributes:
- Close attention to detail and strong administrative, planning and organisational skills.
- Strong, intellectual curiosity, creative thinking and resourcefulness.
- Good team player who is able to build a network of positive relationships with teams in a number of countries.
- Professional, customer-centric work ethic.
- Self-starter who is motivated to persevere to drive the right results.
- Able communicator who is able to engage with people at all levels of the GCO.
- Cultural sensitivity and positive attitude to change.
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time