American Express Careers
Investment Optimization, Manager
American Express is one of the world’s largest and most respected financial services providers. American Express has earned this reputation through focusing on value-creation for both its customers and shareholders. The Investment Optimization function leads thoughtful, effective and efficient investment decisions, enabling the company to focus on the activities that have the best potential to make a meaningful difference.
Our Global Consumer Services Group (GCSG) Investment Optimization team is tasked with investing $Bns annually in marketing activities to acquire new customers and cross-sell to existing customers. Using a unique mix of data, analytics and financial modelling, we’re working intelligently to drive an always-improving allocation of funds.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Manager to push the boundaries for even smarter investment decisions. In our Investment Optimization team, you will help make robust investment decisions, enhance and champion our decision logic, and develop a best-in-class framework for reviewing investments and tracking performance. This role will require strong partnership with highly motivated colleagues in Phoenix, NY and London.
This role has tremendous impact – directly influencing how $Bns of funds are allocated. This is not a business-as-usual role and will require the successful candidate to collaborate across the company to tackle intellectual challenges and invent tools and frameworks for the future.
In this highly analytical role, you will:
- Develop our performance tracking framework and infrastructure by working with analytics teams.
- Evaluate the performance of marketing campaigns to recommend growth opportunities.
- Provide thought-leadership to improve the Investment Optimization process and algorithm.
- Assess how digital channels interact (attribution) and how this influences funding allocation.
- Develop valuation / Customer Lifetime Value / ROI tools.
- Partner across the organization to integrate financial valuation (NPV / ROI) logic into decision tools.
- Share and leverage your understanding of investment optimization across business units.
- Understand the fast-evolving digital marketing ecosystem.
- Knowledge of valuation and NPV financial frameworks.
- Highly analytical, detail oriented, and skilled at working with data.
- Experience building reports, dashboards and tools used to drive business decisions.
- Rigorous and patient thinker, yet able to drive practical solutions swiftly.
- Demonstrated thought leadership, creativity and resourcefulness in generating solutions.
- Ability to break down complex ideas into understandable and actionable messages.
- Understanding of and strong interest in digital / online marketing.
- Intellectually curious and tuned into industry developments (payments / marketing / fintech).
- Demonstrated strength as a quick learner.
- Tertiary degree (MBA / Ph. D.) desired or equivalent in business, economics, marketing or quantitative science. Professional qualifications will be considered.
- 4+ years of experience.
- US work authorization.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time