American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Senior Software Engineer - Hadoop, Java, Machine Learning
American Express is looking for energetic, high-performing software engineers to help shape our technology and product roadmap. You will be part of the fast-paced, entrepreneurial team, as a part of Customer Marketing & Big Data Platforms organization that enables Big Data and batch/ real-time analytical solutions leveraging transformational technologies (Hadoop, HDFS, MapReduce, Hive, HBase, Pig etc) to deliver innovative solutions across multiple lines of business's.
Focus: Leads the design, development, troubleshooting, and debugging work efforts for customer-facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end-user applications.
Organizational Context: Member of a product engineering or delivery and integration team reporting to an Engineering Director or Director Product Delivery & Integration. May have people leadership responsibilities.
Software Development -
• Perform technical aspects of software development for assigned applications including design, developing prototypes, and coding assignments
• Function as a leader on an agile team by contributing to software builds through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
• Lead code reviews and automated testing
• Debug software components and identify code defects for remediation
• Leads the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments.
• Empower teams to automate deployments in test or production environments
• Empower teams to automatically scale applications based on demand projections
• Takes accountability for the success of the team achieving their goals
• Drives the team’s strategy and prioritizes initiatives
• Influence team members by challenging status quo, demonstrating risk taking, and implementing innovative ideas
• Be a productivity multiplier for your team by analyzing your work flow and contributing to enable the team to be more effective, productive, and demonstrating faster and stronger results.
• Mentor and guide team members to success within the team.
10+ years of software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as:
• Demonstrated experience with working in an Agile, collaborative environment to understand requirements, design, code and test innovative applications in areas such as machine learning, computational linguistics, and Natural Language Processing (NLP), advanced and semantic information search, extraction, induction, classification and exploration
• Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, from premier college.
• Experience in high-scale web applications and architecture
• Big Data:
o Strong coding skills and fundamentals in data structures, predictive modeling, and big data concepts
o Experience with Big data analysis platforms like NoSQL, Spark, MapReduce, HD Insights.
o Demonstrated experience with Big Data infrastructure and Big Data Components/ Frameworks (Hadoop, HBase, MapReduce, HDFS, Pig, Hive, Sqoop, Flume, Oozie, Lucene, Avro etc.) and other AJAX tools/ Frameworks.
o Knowledge of analytics or Machine Learning Workflows, pipelines and engines, strongly preferred. Experience developing and maintaining distributed, elastic micro-service applications that self-heal in the event of failures
o Experience with Anomaly detection, pattern matching with capability to correlate business solution to ML algorithms is strongly preferred. Experience with Kafka, Spark, Docker, Kubernetes, or Mesos.
o Programming and language skills
Demonstrated experience with object-oriented design and coding with Java / J2EE using Sprint /Struts framework.
Proficiency on Linux. Understanding and experience with UNIX / Shell scripting
Knowledge of Perl / Python/Scala scripting languages
Proficiency on REST, AKKA.
RDBMS skills – SQL, optimization techniques, etc.
Good to have:
• Machine Learning:
o Knowledge of analytics or Machine Learning Workflows, pipelines and engines, strongly preferred
o Experience in building machine learning applications, and broad knowledge of machine learning APIs, tools, and open source libraries
o Experience with Anomaly detection, pattern matching with capability to correlate business solution to ML algorithms is strongly preferred
o Experience working with Python or R language scripts. Experience in building Azure SQL, developed intuitive search engine using Azure search as a service.
o Experience with statistical modeling. Having a good grasp of Machine Learning concepts from preprocessing to modeling and evaluating results.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time