American Express Careers
Manager - Legal Affairs
Don’t just work for a market leading global company. Help grow one.
This role involves working closely alongside the SVP and Chief Counsel – International, based in London, and supporting the planning and execution of duties assumed by that leader in managing the International legal team.
The Chief Counsel – International is responsible for managing the American Express General Counsel's Organization (GCO) in all countries outside the USA, including 125 staff, plus contractors, in 18 locations around the world. The Chief Counsel also works with GCO teams in the USA to ensure seamless support to the Company’s initiatives globally.
This position will serve as an extension of the Chief Counsel in managing a variety of responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Supporting presentations and progress reviews with senior leaders and GCO colleagues, and preparing Powerpoint decks that are effective in distilling key messages through skillful use of crisp language and visuals
- Co-ordinating and managing processes for key annual activities such as annual goal setting, development planning and reviews, talent planning, and performance reviews
- Compiling and reviewing data and viewpoints needed to support review of legal issues by the Chief Counsel
- Drafting organizational memoranda in an appropriate communication style
- Maintaining the GCO International intranet page
- Planning, co-ordinating, minuting and following up on GCO International Leadership Team meetings
- Managing performance management processes and alignment for the GCO International Leadership Team
- Analysing employee input, developing action plans and driving execution of those plans
- Assessing organizational structure and effectiveness and identifying optimal resource needs
- Collaborating with GCO Legal Operations finance staff to review budget numbers for the GCO International function and recommending new approaches toward better budget management
- Co-ordinating discussion and decision-making among various chapters and leaders for global employee networks sponsored by the Chief Counsel
- Designing and/or supporting the implementation of new policy or process changes
- Plan content for market visits/reviews and GCO events
- Coordinate with the GCO Legal Operations office, Human Resources and other GCO and company groups on deliverables and strategic initiatives
Critical to the role is the ability:
- to observe the strictest standards of confidence and discretion,
- to prepare data and draft documents for and on behalf of the Chief Counsel;
- to review internal communications, policies and operational updates and provide meaningful insights,
- build rapport with GCO and non-GCO staff, including individuals in similar roles supporting other senior leaders,
- understand and navigate the GCO and broader Amex organization effectively,
- provide structure and discipline to a challenging and varied workload, and
- establish a candid, trusting, close working relationship with the Chief Counsel, his Executive Assistant and the GCO International Leadership team (peppered with a good sense of humour and a high degree of flexibility and reliability around the work to be done).
The role will benefit from the support of the Chief Counsel's Executive Assistant but will also involve some administrative work in itself.
This position will provide a unique perspective on leading a dynamic business unit and specialist function that continually evolves and an opportunity to interact with senior leaders on a regular basis. High performers who demonstrate they can execute the role with the authority, trust and independence of a Chief of Staff over the next 2-3 years will be considered for promotion to Director.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- A non-lawyer with proven organizational skills and experience and ability to think analytically and grasp legal concepts or a lawyer or a paralegal with the same organizational skills and operational mindset
- Experience in managing matters within a large international organization with a matrix reporting structure
- Adept at Word, Excel and Powerpoint, with a proven ability to work efficiently in these applications to produce clear, visually sharp communication material
- Articulate and confident communicator
- Inquisitive, analytical, reflective thinker with a desire to engage and learn
- Ability to build trusting relationships with others
- Demonstrated attention to detail in substance and presentation
- Self-starter, able to spot open needs and take initiative to address them
- Highly organized, able to prioritize deliverables and manage expectations
- Discreet, able to maintain confidentiality
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time