American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative payment products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media, join our transformation team!
You will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial technology team responsible for developing products designed to drive online spend and increase card member engagement through the implementation of tech integrations with Digital Partners in Social Media, Retail and Service Industries. You will be challenged with identifying innovative ideas and proofs of concepts to deliver against the existing and future needs of our customers.
This is a very exciting opportunity to join an organization leading Digital Transformation within American Express. This organization leads the technology strategy and delivery across multiple business units within American Express and is responsible for the delivery of ground breaking digital partnerships leveraging cutting-edge technology and enable incredible digital experiences for American Express Card Members.
- Serving as a core member of an engineering team that designs and develops software applications
- Owning the designs of pieces of the systems, accounting for reliability and availability including identifying and handling failure modes
- Writing code and unit tests, working on API specs, automation, and conducting code reviews and testing, and documenting processes
- Identifying exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Performing ongoing refactoring of code, utilizing visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and delivering continuous improvement
- Working with product managers to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
- 7-10 years of software development experience, and preferably a BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline.
- Team player and a hands-on engineer.
- Experience mentoring and coaching junior engineers.
- Experience in designing and implementing highly scalable, low latency Java-based applications.
- Hands on experience in multi-threading programming.
- Working knowledge of http(s), tcp/ip, and ssh protocols.
- Basic high availability techniques and implementation knowledge.
- Practical knowledge of caching and distributed systems.
- Ability of articulate the design both verbally and in writing in English for a wide tech and business groups.
- Staying in touch with industry standards and current technologies is expected.
- Hands-on experience in implementing web applications and API services using REST.
- Experience in profiling / performance analysis of applications.
- Core competencies in distributed technologies including Java, Spring, APIs (REST, SOAP), JSON, XML, Kafka, JDBC, DB2/Oracle, Couchbase, Vert.x, Spring Boot, Spring Batch, Quartz (Scheduler), SLF4J/LOG4J, JUnit, Jenkins, and Maven.
- Commitment to software practices of continuous Integration, automated/repeatable testing, and collaborative work environments.
- Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems.
- Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies and takes pride in how fast they develop working software.
- Experience working with streaming solutions is highly desirable (preferably Apache Kafka and Kafka Streams).
- Experience with JBoss / Websphere is desirable.
- Hands on experience in the full stack software development is desirable.
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time