American Express Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
The Global Digital Acquisition organization within Mobile & Web Engineering is looking for engineering managers to help lead our Platform Excellence engineering group. Our group builds the core capabilities that power the digital acquisition software patform and enable the journey of a prospective customer of American Express. This position will report to the Director of Platform Excellence.
In this role, you will use your extensive knowledge of Web applications and systems and the people who build them to lead one or more product engineering teams in delivering a variety of technical capabilities for internal and external users. You and your teams will create performant, highly available, mission-critical web applications and services to power user experiences in the digital acquisition platform. You will be accountable for ensuring that your teams are configured to deliver on their product roadmaps and that they operate their software in a manner that ensures the best possible customer experience.
If you were to join our team, these are the kinds of things you'd do:
- Work with product owners to define requirements for new features, build product roadmaps and plan increments of work
- Whiteboard and socialize changes to APIs and system designs in collaboration with architects, tech leads and team members
- Provide support to operations teams to troubleshoot and resolve production issues
- Recognize and solve for inefficiencies in our development process
- Find opportunities to educate and learn from other mobile & web engineering teams
- Meet regularly with team members to provide feedback on employee performance and coaching for difficult situations
- Help engineers develop and execute a personal career development plan
- Mentor engineers in skills development
- Plan process and technology improvement projects and influence other managers and delivery team leads to collaborate on execution
- Assist the director to design and execute the PX hiring plan, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing
- Align group-wide priorities with other PX managers
- Several years of serving in either an engineering management or technical lead role
- Deep technical skills that ensure your credibility with the engineers you'll be managing
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills - able to explain technical concepts to designers, product managers and business people in ways that are meaningful to them
- Experience building development plans for engineering teams in the presence of resource constraints and demanding stakeholders
- Highly organized and able to multitask effectively
- Able to weigh several, often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a high-pressure environment
- A thorough understanding of how the web works and modern web application architectures
Also critical to your success:
- Finding joy in mentoring others and helping them grow in their careers
- The insight to notice problems in how we work, and the initiative to fix them
- The ability to see and to understand the larger context in which your team works and to craft solutions within that context
- Adaptability to changes in product requirements, organizational structures and business conditions
- A strong belief in your personal responsibility for ensuring quality craftsmanship
- An open, collaborative spirit
- Undergraduate or postgraduate degree in computer science, engineering or similar discipline
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
- Demonstrated public speaking and/or technical publishing experience
- Significant open source contribution
- Significant industry community involvement
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time