American Express Careers
Principal UX Researcher
Help create a better digital experience for our Card Members.
Our Design team knows it’s not enough to help people get things done, you need to help them do it in the best way possible. If you’re passionate about creating a better journey for every user from beginning to end, start here. We’re the company that built our entire business on delivering the highest possible levels of customer satisfaction – and now we’re ramping up our research and design practice to meet our Card Members’ ever evolving digital needs.
As a part of the User Experience Research (UXR) & Insights team within Enterprise Digital & Analytics, you’ll be responsible for uncovering and translating user needs that drive customer-centered design solutions.
That right candidate will have a deep knowledge of user research, Design Thinking, and a proven track record of successfully consulting and partnering with Product Owners, Designers, and wider stakeholders.
- Transform ideas, business opportunities, and creative vision into desirable outcomes for our users – establishing user needs and goals.
- Consult with Product Owners and Designers to determine their insight needs, make appropriate recommendations - and craft research plans that align with the product roadmap.
- End-to-end responsibility for leading a portfolio of research projects. From identifying the appropriate methods to get the data; to establishing timelines and dependencies; to conducting the research itself, and delivering the results in a compelling way.
- Leading both generative and evaluative research - from rapid iterative usability testing, to a combination of more in-depth methods, to drive product development and improvement.
- Working in a hybrid model, where research may be undertaken directly by the UXR team, in partnership with a vendor, or delivered by a 3rd party, but lead by you.
- Synthesize learnings across projects, integrate with other functions (e.g. Analytics) and lead socialization of findings.
- Drive (and contribute to) the continuous improvement of the UXR practice and research techniques, as we build the maturity of our function, mentoring both peers and junior colleagues.
- Work across multiple markets to identify global solutions, across all stages of the customer lifecycle.
- May involve line management or contractor management responsibility.
- Undergraduate or Masters Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Psychology, Interaction Design, Computer/Information Science, or similar; or equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years of UX Research / Digital Interaction experience with consumer facing digital products, websites and mobile experiences is highly desired
- Proven experience in identifying research needs, matching those needs to research methods, and aligning approach with overall business strategy
- Experience conducting research using of a range of qualitative methods and related tools, from usability testing and contextual inquiry; to remote testing (with UserZoom or Qualtrics); to focus groups, card sorting, participatory design, ethnography, etc
- Track record of delivering Usability testing: moderating (1 on 1), screener creation, test plan creation, debriefing, facilitation, and presentation of results and recommendations
- Experienced facilitator, having conducted workshops on topics such as design thinking, rapid prototyping, and empathy + journey mapping
- Ability to synthesize multiple insights to arrive at recommendations that deliver customer-focused outcomes for the organization, and communicate them effectively to Product Owners and Designers
- Ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional partners to drive multiple research projects at pace and scale
- Strong communication, presentation, influencing and relationship-building skills
- Comfortable working independently, and as part of a larger specialist team, that is managed virtually/remotely across multiple locations and timezones.
- Can demonstrate experience adapting to change, and be able to hit the ground running.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time