With over 160 years of innovation, we are moving faster than ever by introducing new products, services, and strategies to bring greater value to our business customers.
If you have proven ability to establish new business relationships, advance your sales career with American Express, one of the world’s most respected and recognized brands.
The Manager of Business Development's key responsibility is to solicit merchants in the Portland Area to accept the American Express Card as a form of payment from their customers focusing on B2B sales. This position will identify key merchant prospects within a specified revenue range and implement effective sales strategies and solutions. Managers of Business Development utilize their in-depth knowledge of American Express, the industry and their prospects to provide solutions. Additional responsibilities include: gathering and disseminating marketplace and competitive information, coordinating all internal resources necessary to facilitate each sale, and executing proper account set-up and merchant training.
Successful Mangers of Business Development use their prospecting and cold calling skills to identify, filter and qualify leads to effectively manage a pipeline of prospects. They plan strategically, research and are knowledgeable about the industries and markets they call on. They possess strong analytical, organizational, decision-making, negotiation, oral, written and interpersonal skills. Strong financial acumen is also necessary in order to effectively explain the financial and marketing value of product solutions to close sales. Managers of Business Development must also possess the ability to prepare and present formal presentations and use their excellent consultative solution selling skills to ensure long-term relationship building and meet business goals.
- A University Degree and 5 years of successful outside sales experience is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with PC applications (MS Office, Outlook, Excel, Power Point).
- Proficiency with Salesforce.com an asset.
- Working knowledge of related American Express products and services is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of the Portland Area.
- Residence in the territory is required with up to 15% overnight travel within territory.
- Strong financial and business acumen.
- Self-disciplined and self-motivated to work on own in a home office environment.
- Experienced in prospecting for leads.
- Applicant must have a valid driver's license. A motor vehicle records check will be conducted for all successful candidates at the time of offer. Disclosure of all moving violations within the last 3 years (Including, but not limited to: speeding tickets, refusal to submit to blood alcohol content, reckless driving, leaving scene of accident, and driver’s license suspension for moving violations) is required during the application process.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time