American Express Careers
Associate Counsel - Employment Law
Do the right thing for our customers, our company and your career.
Our Employment Lawyers understand that our people are at the heart of American Express’ business. They closely collaborate with colleagues across Human Resources and the broader business to support the organizational goals that continue to develop our talent base, whilst ensuring our employees are treated fairly and appropriately.
This role is a great opportunity for an individual to get involved in a broad range employment law matters across UK and European markets. The office location can be flexible as AMEX is well positioned to support this role in a number of European markets.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing general employment law support to the Human Resources function in the UK collaborating with and advising HR Business Partners, Employee Relations, Reward, Recruitment and Talent Management.
- Working closely with Market and Line of Business HR teams to support the completion of their goals.
- Advising generally in relation to non-contentious employment issues and ensuring good practice legal compliance.
- Providing advice on a wide range of employment issues including:
- Reorganisation impacts and employee consultation.
- Changes to employment terms and conditions.
- Discrimination, whistleblower and grievance procedures.
- Employee benefits and employee share plans.
- Providing support on the implementation of legal developments and initiatives and review of related materials, drafting and negotiation of policies and procedures especially as part of an international or global company.
- Owning, developing, leading and delivering in-house training sessions to HR.
- Managing litigation by instructing and liaising with outside counsel and business owners and ensure appropriate reporting and reserves in accordance with applicable accounting policies.
- Forging strong relationships with external counsel.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To be successful in the role you will possess the following core skills and experience:
- Fully qualified Lawyer, with demonstrable expertise and experience in Employment Law.
- In-house legal experience either in an in-house role or through secondments during your tenure with a professional firm strongly preferred.
- Native Italian / Spanish / French speaker highly desirable with possible option of relocation to these markets.
- Excellent drafting skills, with demonstrable expertise and experience of drafting and negotiating termination agreements.
- Solid experience of a broad range of employment law matters including but not limited to reorganization and employee consultation, TUPE, employee share plans.
- Pensions experience would be desirable.
- Strong communication skills.
You will also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Excellent relationship management and people skills. Keen to collaborate throughout the organisation – a team player. Able to form and maintain strong working relationships with in the GCO and with clients
- Ability to provide firm guidance on complex and sensitive issues with the appropriate balance of commercial risk.
- Strategic thinker with good business understanding and excellent analytical skills with due attention to detail.
- Able to think on feet, multitask and prioritise.
- The confidence and gravitas to advise the senior management and influence individuals within the organisation. A confident presenter.
- The ability to recognise and manage challenge from internal clients.
- Ability to respond to business issues with workable solutions often under critical time pressure
- Enthusiasm to get involved in new areas/jurisdictions.
- Prepared to take the lead with regards to making appropriate recommendations to senior and middle management.
We would welcome applications from candidates looking for part time or flexible working hours.
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time