American Express Careers
Counsel - Consumer Products and Services
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- Provide legal advice and guidance to product owners responsible for consumer credit cards on a range of matters including card marketing, card member communications, product development, and rewards programs
- Partner with Line of Business Compliance and Global Marketing Operations to draft, review and approve marketing claims and disclosures
- Support contract negotiations with vendors for cobrand card member events and promotions
- Develop regulatory subject matter expertise across U.S. consumer finance regulations, with a particular emphasis on Truth in Lending Act and UDAAP
- Support implementation of process improvements to streamline marketing review processes, including Agile Marketing Initiative
- Participate as part of a team of seasoned attorneys and legal managers, offering thought leadership for practice group and GCO-wide projects
- Bachelor’s degree & J.D.
- Qualified to practice law in New York
- 3+ years of relevant in-house and/or law firm experience
- Experience in development and marketing of financial products and services and accompanying benefits is a plus
- Experience applying UDAAP and the Truth in Lending Act is a plus
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, take on new responsibilities and prioritize work in a dynamic, deadline intensive environment
- Ability to interpret and apply law and regulation in a practical, hands-on, common sense manner
- Ability to gain credibility, manage expectations, and develop strong working relationships with GCO colleagues and business clients; convey clear advice to clients
- Strong process-management skills and ability to help identify and implement improvements in work process to enhance efficiency and productivity.
- High energy, team-oriented, self-starter, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong work ethic and personal accountability
Delivering extraordinary experiences to its customers and employees every day.
The success of American Express since its inception has been defined by its ability to innovate, evolve, disrupt, and take risks. What has remained constant throughout this history of transformation is our dedication to our customers, to our employees, and to the values on which American Express was built: integrity, quality, respect, and community.
Our open, creative, and collaborative culture is a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. So if you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time