American Express Careers
- Serving as a core member of an engineering team that designs and develops software applications
- Owning the designs of pieces of the systems, accounting for reliability and availability including identifying and handling failure modes
- Writing code and unit tests, working on API specs, automation, and conducting code reviews and testing, and documenting processes
- Identifying exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Performing ongoing refactoring of code, utilizing visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and delivering continuous improvement
- Working with product managers to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
- 7-10 years of software development experience, and preferably a BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline.
- Team player and a hands-on engineer.
- Experience mentoring and coaching junior engineers.
- Experience in designing and implementing highly scalable, low latency Java-based applications.
- Hands on experience in multi-threading programming.
- Working knowledge of http(s), tcp/ip, and ssh protocols.
- Basic high availability techniques and implementation knowledge.
- Practical knowledge of caching and distributed systems.
- Staying in touch with industry standards and current technologies is expected.
- Hands-on experience in implementing web applications and API services using REST.
- Experience in profiling / performance analysis of applications.
- Core competencies in distributed technologies including Java, Spring, APIs (REST, SOAP), JSON, XML, Kafka, JDBC, DB2/Oracle, Couchbase, Vert.x, Spring Boot, Spring Batch, JUnit, Jenkins, and Maven.
- Commitment to software practices of continuous Integration, automated/repeatable testing, and collaborative work environments.
- Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems.
- Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies and takes pride in how fast they develop working software.
- Experience working with streaming solutions is highly desirable (preferably Apache Kafka and Kafka Streams).
- Experience with JBoss / Websphere is desirable.
- Hands on experience in the full stack software development is desirable.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time