American Express Careers
Manager, Global Merchant Policy
The Merchant Policy Team creates and evolves merchant rules that impact the merchant experience, enables products and mitigates risk for the organization. Policy is a major driver of business and can have significant impacts to issuers, acquirers and merchants.
The team is a core enabler of many of the company’s Big Bet initiatives such as EMV (Chip Cards), Safekey, and Mobile Payments, while at the same time, the team is critically tasked with determining the key merchant pain points and creating merchant policy/rules to address those pain points.
This position is responsible for evolving merchant-facing policies globally, based on merchant feedback and industry developments. The successful candidate will work with colleagues across American Express, including GMS globally, Risk, Network, Marketing, the General Counsel's Office, GNS and Merchant Acquisitions, to deliver policy solutions that meet GMS business needs.
A successful candidate will drive/participate in:
- Developing new or re-hauling existing merchant policy including developing the business case, driving analytics, getting feedback CLMs and merchants
- Creating alignment across several key business partners – e.g., Risk, Network, GSN, Marketing
- Training on policy to educate merchants and internal business partners
- Highly self-motivated, results-oriented individual with strong relationship skills to work cross-organizationally to influence, negotiate and drive change to formulate and implement innovative policies. Ideal candidate should have:
- Very strong critical thinking and analytical skills, with strong attention to detail
- Strong collaboration/influencing skills with success working on complex Enterprise-spanning initiatives
- Knowledge of the merchant and open network business
- Strong project management and organizational skills to participate in a variety of complex projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills: (1) ability to write clear and concise documents and prepare effective presentations in MS PowerPoint; (2) strong verbal communication skills with an ability to confidently explain policy and illustrate its impacts to both merchants and internal stakeholders; and (3) ability to tailor communications to specific audiences
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Resiliency under changing circumstances and ability to navigate ambiguity
- Willingness to work hard and be a part of a highly visible and high-performing team that is very collaborative and likes to have fun.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the payment industry (preferred, not required)
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time