American Express Careers
Java Software Engineer
Don’t just follow digital trends, Help create one.
American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves.
This is an opportunity to join the Global Benefits Manager team, a group of creative engineers working on a global platform supporting Cardmember benefits, enrolments and usages. The team operates in a fully agile model and has dedicated Product Owners co-located with us in the UK.
Analyze user stories to appropriately support design activities
- Perform all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications including, developing prototypes and writing new code / API's
- Function as an active member of an agile team through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
- Produce software builds from software source code
- Conduct integration tests as defined in the test specifications, including event logging and reporting of results
- Perform unit and assembly testing of software components including the design, implementation, evaluation, and execution of unit and assembly test scripts
- Conduct code reviews and tests of automated build scripts
- Debug software components, identifies, fixes and verifies remediation of code defects (own work and the work of others)
- Identify opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Provides continuous support for ongoing production application availability
- Write instructions to guide computer operators during production runs
- Work with product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and manage a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods
- Experience with design and coding across one or more platforms and languages including Java
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- Experience with distributed, multi-tiered systems and relational databases
- University Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or equivalent experience
- Applies data analysis, data modelling and quality assurance techniques to aid in the development of data structures and associated components
- Designs, codes, tests, corrects and documents large and/or complex programs and program modifications from supplied specifications using agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well-engineered result
- Takes part in reviews of own work and leads reviews of colleagues' work
- Defines test conditions, cases and scripts based on the requirements and specifications provided
- Has working knowledge of the range of tools used in the planning, analyzing, designing, building, testing, configuring and maintaining of assigned application(s)
- Able to participate in assigned team’s software delivery methodology (Agile, Scrum, Agile XP, Test-Driven Development)
- Codes individual models using the relevant programming language(s) and frameworks
- Assists in detailed database design and carries out data design required by report generation for small ad hoc jobs
- Understanding and working knowledge of SOA and Microservices Architecture
- Experience in Enterprise JAVA/J2EE Technologies using Core Java, Spring Core, Spring JDBC template, Hibernate, Spring Batch preferable
- Understanding of TDD and BDD frameworks
- Good Understanding of Version Control System i.e. GIT, etc. using tools like Source Tree, GIT, Bitbucket etc.
- Understanding and working knowledge of Build Automation Tools and Frameworks
- Good communication skills, both written and spoken is essential
- Good relationship building skills with both Technology and Product Owner teams
- Excellent agile process knowledge to help drive the team to increased efficiency
- Experience across multiple agile functions would be preferable
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time