American Express Careers
The Global Digital Acquisition organization within Mobile & Web Engineering is looking for talented data engineers to join our Platform Excellence engineering group. We build the core capabilities that power the digital acquisition software platform and enable the journey of a prospective customer of American Express.
In this role, you will use your extensive knowledge of database systems and data processing paradigms to modernize and globalize the data layer of our digital acquisition platform. You will create perform and scalable data pipelines and processing software that integrate with our enterprise data warehouse and reporting and analytics systems.
Job locations: New York, SF Bay Area, Phoenix (remote okay)
If you were to join our team, these are the kinds of things you'd do:
- Collaborate with software architects to design the next generation of the Global Digital Acquisition platform's data layer
- Work in a cross-functional team with other engineers to design, build, test and deploy software components enabling data layer capabilities
- Develop frameworks and approaches for measuring and testing performance and correctness of data layer components and systems
- Review colleagues' code with an eye toward performance, reliability and maintainability
- Help our production support team address issues encountered in production and fix defects when discovered
- Continuously learn about new technologies and help keep the entire group abreast of industry developments and evolving best practices
- Mentor other engineers and be mentored in turn
Requirements for this position:
- 7+ years of software development experience in multiple project environments
- Strong fundamentals and production experience with multiple programming languages including Java and at least one scripting language such as Python or Ruby
- Deep understanding of and strong opinions on data programming concepts and architectural patterns
- Hands-on experience building data pipelines and ETL systems using tools such as Hadoop, Spark and NiFi
- Hands-on experience with software engineering practices like source code control, code review, and continuous integration and delivery
- Working knowledge of Unix system and shell programming
Also critical to your success:
- Familiarity with and desire to work using agile methodologies and practices such as Scrum/Kanban, iterations, user stories and development flows using continuous delivery, and automated testing
- A drive to stay up-to-date with the latest web architecture technology including language innovations, containerization, storage technology and runtime problem solving
- The ability to see and to understand the larger context in which your team works and to craft solutions within that context
- Adaptability to changes in product requirements, organizational structures and business conditions
- A strong belief in your personal responsibility for ensuring quality craftsmanship
- An open, collaborative spirit
- Strong computer science fundamentals
- Experience with Domain-Driven Design (DDD)
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time