American Express Careers
Senior Engineer - Enterprise Cloud Platform (CTAM)
Ever wondered what it takes to build a highly available, global scale enterprise wide private Paas/Iaas cloud platform with an Open Source technology stack and to achieve up-times SLA of Amazon, Google and Force.com?
Then you should consider this innovative and disruptive opportunity where you can be a key transformative contributor to a rock star engineering team which will ensure stability of the next generation enterprise application platform (PaaS/IaaS) for American Express.
The goal of the team is to minimize incidents in both the quantity and duration, minimize impact, and prevent incidents from occurring. This team will be delivering the solution that will ensure the Cloud Platform is reliable and timely as well as providing solutions for the users of the Cloud Platform. You will be involved in creating a solution for both internal use as well as for the customers. As we are transitioning into supporting a “hybrid cloud,” this team will be critical in ensuring reliability and timeliness of the platform.
You will be supporting a variety of technologies in a highly available platform-as-a-service (PaaS/Iaas) which is implemented using a variety of technologies such as OpenStack and OpenShift. Also, you will be supporting Kubernetes, Docker, Redis, Spark, Storm, and numerous other technologies and solutions. You will be working with, and utilizing, a variety of programming languages and tools, all while contributing to the Monitoring, Alerting and Self-Healing solution.
- Owns technical aspects of software development, focused on alerting, monitoring and recovery.
- Performs hands-on architecture, design and development of systems
- Ability to understand systems and architectures to quickly identify potential problems
- Assists in implementing solutions for monitoring and alerting.
- Involved in predicting alerting.
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Provides continuous support for ongoing application availability
- Works closely with product owners on feature sets that impact multiple platforms and products and ensures proper monitoring and metrics are available during design.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Designing and building a solution for collecting millions of metrics and alerting in near real-time, focused on ease-of-use and extensibility, across multiple cloud environments.
- Understand current incidents and provide solutions to detect, recover, and prevent reoccurrence.
- Work with Product Owners to understand upcoming features and ensure proper design for monitoring, alerting, and self-recovery.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of software development experience in one OO programming language: Java, Python, Go, Node.js
- 3+ years of Linux Experience.
- Demonstrated support of production systems at scale, with experience in detecting issues, root cause analysis, and prevention of incidents.
- Understanding of good cloud architecture to ensure high availability
- Experience in public clouds such as AWS, GCP, Azure
- 2+ Years of Experience with Container & Orchestration Technologies such as Docker, Rocket, CloudFoundry, Kubernetes, Openshift
- Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and challenges and articulate solutions
- Willingness to learn new technologies and exploit them to their optimal potential
- Experience in Timeseries databases such as Graphite, Prometheus, Influx DB
At the core of Software Engineering:
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Product Knowledge
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time