American Express Careers
Engineer I - Java (Stream Processing)
Are you interested in leveraging advanced technology to drive business solutions? Would you like to be part of a team that drives innovative, stream processing solutions to meet real time customer needs? Do you have a passion to grow professionally as part of a team that encourages, helps, and supports each other?
Be part of an enthusiastic, high performing technology team, developing solutions to drive engagement and loyalty within our existing cardmember base and attract new customers to the Amex brand. This group is nimble and creative, with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. You will collaborate closely with Business Partners and Product Owners, Technical Architects, fellow engineers, and Leadership as a subject matter expert. You will ensure completeness and efficiency of solutions while ensuring adherence to technical standards. You will also play a critical role partnering with other development teams, testing and quality, and production support allowing the team to meet implementation dates and allow smooth transition throughout the development life-cycle.
You will be a core engineering member of a team that owns platforms that encompass real time stream processing, gamification, and other services to drive card member value. The platforms owned by the team power offers, rewards, mobile features, etc.
Do you have the technical chops? Are you passionate about driving business value by building and evolving enterprise platforms? Can you tame the torrent of billions of events per day to provide insights, benefits, and value to card members and business partners?
Are you ready for the challenge?
- Serving as a core member of an engineering team that designs and develops software applications
- Contributing the designs of pieces of the system, accounting for reliability and availability including identifying and accounting for failure modes
- Writing code and unit tests, working on API specs, automation, and conducting code reviews and testing, and documenting processes
- Identifying exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Performing ongoing refactoring of code, utilizing visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and delivering continuous improvement
- Working with product managers to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
- 3+ years of software development experience, and preferably a BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline.
- Team player and a hands-on engineer.
- Experience in implementing highly scalable, low latency Java-based applications.
- Hands on experience in multi-threading programming.
- Working knowledge of http(s), tcp/ip, and ssh protocols.
- Basic high availability techniques and implementation knowledge.
- Practical knowledge of caching and distributed systems.
- Ability of articulate both verbally and in writing in English for a wide tech and business groups.
- Staying in touch with industry standards and current technologies is expected.
- Hands-on experience in implementing web applications and API services using REST.
- Experience in profiling / performance analysis of applications.
- Core competencies in distributed technologies including Java, Spring, APIs (REST, SOAP), JSON, XML, Kafka, JDBC, DB2/Oracle, Couchbase, Vert.x, Spring Boot, Spring Batch, Quartz (Scheduler), SLF4J/LOG4J, JUnit, Jenkins, and Maven.
- Commitment to software practices of continuous Integration, automated/repeatable testing, and collaborative work environments.
- Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems.
- Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies and take pride in how fast they develop working software.
- Experience working with streaming solutions is highly desirable (preferably Apache Kafka and Kafka Streams).
- Hands on experience in the full stack software development is desirable.
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time