American Express Careers
Director – Global Merchant Services Pricing – EMEA
Make an impact on our business and the business world.
The Director of Merchant Pricing – EMEA Global Client Group (GCG) and Global Pricing Strategy team is responsible for leading the pricing analysis and strategy for our largest EMEA merchant relationships, B2B, and Aggregators.
The Director is also responsible for leading important broad-scale pricing initiatives aimed at preserving our merchant discount rate while balancing the organization’s goal for profitable charge volume and merchant expansion; essential to the strength of our business. The successful candidate will report to the Vice President of Merchant Pricing – EMEA. The position will be based in London.
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual to gain deep knowledge of the Merchant business. This role has significant exposure to senior leaders across GMS and the Blue Box. The Senior Manager should be a dynamic individual who can work closely with senior leaders and has the right ambition to drive change.
- Lead a team of three Managers to deliver impactful merchant pricing solutions for the EMEA region
- Develop pricing strategies based on quantitative analysis and provide recommendations to secure key financial acceptance terms in negotiations, such as pricing terms, value exchange levers, and trade-offs
- Oversee and evaluate business cases for various merchant pricing scenarios, model P&L impacts, and perform sensitivity analysis to mitigate risk
- Liaise directly with merchants to explain Amex pricing philosophy, premium to competitor bank card rates, industry pricing, and pricing proposals
- Contribute to ongoing partnerships with merchants by exhibiting knowledge of industry and merchant-specific opportunities and challenges
- Lead the EMEA Discount Rate planning, forecasting and variance analysis in conjunction with the Global Insights & Planning team
- Drive pricing integrity and accuracy in merchant agreements; work closely with CLM and Operations to ensure all pricing terms are properly captured in internal platforms
- Support external audits including researching issues found, contacting the CLM teams that manage the merchant relationships to discuss issues, and working through an appropriate resolution with the merchants
- Contribute to the ongoing development of an infrastructure that identifies opportunities for sharing best business practices, streamlines implementation of contract/payment terms, and other internal processes
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Consistent, strong contributor and proven people leader with exceptional references from former leaders and team members
- Strategic thought leader with the ability to work through unstructured problems and develop clear action plans
- Strong aptitude for analytics; demonstrated ability to develop sophisticated financial models and draw value-added insights from large data sets
- Strong relationship management and collaboration skills with the ability to influence others in situations where there may be different goals
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral -- with experience leading discussions with Senior Leaders where decisions need to be made based on the facts presented
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment, which places a premium on driving results
- Creative thinker who will challenge the status quo and embrace new thinking
- Strong project management skills with full ownership from analysis through to implementation
- Passionate focus on the customer; demonstrated desire to understand and solve for customer needs and pain points
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple requests and prioritize accordingly
- Capacity to remain calm and flexible under pressure
- Experience in working with Genesis, MS3, MARC, RAMP, IDN, Merchant Force, TM1 and SQL programming
- MBA and GMS/merchant customer interaction experience preferred
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time