American Express Careers
Sr Business Architect
Some people know technology. Others know business. You know both.
You can’t run a successful company today without innovative technology that aligns with business goals. Our Business Architects bridge the gap between technology and business information, strategies and processes. So if you have the vision and the talent to build a blueprint for business and technology success, look deeper.
A stronger business and career, by design
It takes collaboration, thought leadership and technical expertise to align business goals with the latest technology. Here is just some of what you’ll be responsible for:
- Working within the architecture vertical team(s) to understand and document business principles, goals, and strategic drivers
- Documenting the baseline and target business architecture using industry standard modeling techniques and tools
- Maintaining business process maps and functions for the supporting technology objects, (applications, platforms, components)
- Performing business process modeling
- Facilitates the performance optimization of one or more business units by enhancing the alignment between business products, processes and information technology.
- Responsible for constructing and maintaining the knowledge base of enterprise business capabilities in terms of business information and processes.
- Supports multiple vertical and/or horizontal architecture teams to facilitate technical solutions for business requirements supporting the organization’s architecture vision.
- Contributes to end-to-end business process mapping for business products and capabilities supported by the vertical architecture teams.
- Contributes to the creation and maintenance of business and technology blueprints, as well as multiple Company Platforms.
- Lead cross-functional teams performing architecture initiatives from inception through conclusion. May report to either a Technology or Business Leader as appropriate.
- Creates and maintains the architectural vision by providing thought leadership when working within the architecture vertical teams to understand and document the business principles, business goals, strategic business drivers and business capabilities of the organization across one or more business units.
- Builds and maintains a business architecture framework by:
- Working within the architectural vertical teams to describe the current baseline business architectures
- Working with Product Owners and Company Platform Owners/Architects to understand the strategy and vision for the product/platform, potential impacts and opportunities in the environment
- Working within the architectural vertical teams to develop a target business architecture, describing the product and/or service strategy, and the organizational, functional, process, capability, information, and geographic aspects of the business environment, based on the business principles, business goals, and strategic drivers
- Documenting the baseline and target business architecture using industry standard modeling techniques and tools at the right level of detail and decomposition/abstraction
- Responsible for ensuring that the engineered environment meets the specification in terms of business requirements, application design and infrastructure requirements i.e. accountable for the performance and efficiency of platforms/applications
- Works with peers, Directors of Business Architecture, Staff Engineers and Staff Architects to ensure application development aligns to business and Technology strategy
- Partners with Chief Technology Office to determine practical adaptation of enterprise standards through internal customer feedback sessions
- Functions as a business process subject matter expert across the assigned portfolio
- Responsible for understanding and interpreting the business strategy within the supported portfolio
- May lead cross-functional teams performing architecture initiatives from inception through conclusion
- Will have responsibility for coaching and mentoring technical resources, and providing advice, guidance and assistance to less experienced colleagues, as required
- Analyzing the gaps between the baseline and target business architecture and recommending closure strategies
- Leading the production of work objects and deliverables that drive the POA roadmap and migration plan.
- Creating and maintaining industry standard business models and other business architecture outputs throughout their creation and subsequent refresh cycles
- Working within the architectural vertical teams to produce a Technology platform strategy that aligns with the Company Platform and business strategy, using the business architecture outputs to bridge between business and technology functions
- Tracks the solution development path ensuring contributions to the target architecture by:
- Proactively ensuring that business value and outcomes are achieved throughout the project lifecycle (e.g., CBA is appropriate and can be realized post implementation)
- Producing and maintaining business process maps and functions for the supporting technology objects, (applications, platforms, components)
- Maintaining active involvement with the projects within the scope of the assigned business unit(s) and being a signatory for project envisioning/analysis documents, ensuring that the development
- 6+ years of business capability identification and enablement in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as:
- Extensive experience in multiple technology disciplines in a business environment
- with an advanced understanding of architectural concepts (business, data,
- application, technical and solution), issues and trends
- Extensive experience using a service-oriented systems analysis and design
- methodology, and an excellent understanding of industry trends and tools
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent work experience required
- Applicable industry certification (TOGAF, BAIP, etc.)
- Expert in Business Architecture practices, with a deep understanding of its
- relationship to and integration with other architecture disciplines, including
- Information Architecture, Application Architecture and Technical Architecture.
- Advanced to expert level knowledge and understanding of business architecture, applications systems design and integration with a detailed understanding of applicable programming methodologies
- Understanding of API economy and ecosystem design patterns and principles
- Expert process reengineering skills and extensive experience (Six-Sigma, LEAN, etc)
- Expertise in relevant industry standard Modeling Languages and Tools (UML [both Structural and Behavioral views], BPMN, BPEL, etc.).
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time