American Express Careers
EMEA Data Protection - Associate Counsel
You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
The lawyer will be responsible for EMEA Data Protection within the Global Privacy Legal team, based in London. This position will be responsible for supporting, initiating and driving efforts to provide best-in-class data protection-focused legal advice across American Express (AXP) to ensure compliance with applicable EMEA data protection laws, rules and regulations. The position will report to the Chief Privacy Counsel within the AXP General Counsel’s Organization (GCO). Responsibilities to include:
- Providing legal advice to AXP companies and affiliates in the UK and throughout EMEA on the full range data protection issues, including GDPR, Binding Corporate Rules, EU/US Privacy Shield and Interest Based Advertising;
- Providing privacy legal advice and support on collecting, sharing and accessing personal data, digital marketing initiatives, opt-out choices, etc., to ensure that AXP’s practices around personal data are in compliance with applicable law and company policies;
- Serving as data protection legal “subject matter expert” to colleagues in the GCO, AXP Privacy Office, Compliance and the businesses;
- Reviewing, negotiating and drafting data protection terms in vendor agreements, confidentiality agreements, privacy policies/notices/disclosures, etc;
- Providing privacy-related legal advice concerning business transactions, including reviewing contracts with 3rd party vendors and business partners, performing privacy-related legal due diligence and drafting and negotiating applicable privacy-related provisions;
- Proactively monitoring and providing advice on legislative and regulatory developments in the areas of data protection in EMEA and JAPA;
- Supporting the global privacy legal team in designing and delivering continuing legal education programs on privacy-related issues;
- Participating in and advising on various strategic initiatives related to cutting-edge privacy and data use issues.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Significant privacy experience in a law firm and/or in-house corporate legal environment (in-house experience strongly preferred);
- Law degree (UK or EU) and bar admission;
- Corporate transactional background with experience negotiating and drafting a variety of complex commercial agreements, drafting privacy policies, etc;
- Strong knowledge of data protection regulations in the German or French markets;
- German or French speaking language skills are essential
- Prior financial services/fin tech experience a plus;
- CIPP/EU certification a plus;
- Strong and effective communication, interpersonal and client relationship/management skills;
- Team oriented and self-motivated, with a proactive, pragmatic attitude to help resolve novel, complex issues;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks (including those out of one’s comfort zone), prioritize work, and project manage in a deadline-intensive environment;
- Ability to understand details of business/operational/technology environment in applying legal and policy requirements;
- Willingness and flexibility to take on new responsibilities and challenges as American Express and its businesses continue to evolve.
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time