American Express Careers
Mgr/Sr Mgr - Risk Management - Data Scientist
American Express is changing the world at work with innovative solutions that help businesses drive growth. The Risk Center of Excellence organization sits within Global Risk and Compliance (GRC) is responsible for managing Risk through continuous monitoring, reviews and tests across all Business Units, Product lines and geographies in American Express. As an Innovation organization, the team’s charter is to bring innovative products to life in the areas of Risk Management and Data Science.
We are seeking an experienced Data Scientist to be a part of this important evolution of the next-generation Risk Management and analytics products. These products aim to automate risk monitoring (across all risk types) and testing across Amex functions, processes, products, business units and risk types leveraging advances in data science and technology. As Data Scientist you will apply your expertise in the field of Data Science to monitor and derive actionable insights across various risk including Credit, Operational, Market, Compliance and Regulatory Risks. You will work with a diverse set of internal and external, structured and unstructured data and develop advanced statistical and machine learning models. You will interface with business partners in order to help Amex achieve aggressive business goals while providing innovative, best-in-class solution enhancements for our business stakeholders. You have a deep appreciation for risk management techniques and affinity for data and analytics. You are a strong communicator who is equally adept at talking to other risk managers, marketers, and engineers amongst other stakeholders. You are not afraid of pushing boundaries to achieve the best outcomes for Amex.
- Primary focus on building machine learning models from development through testing and validation.
- Ability to perform thorough research and evaluate new analytical models as well as deep dive into existing models
- Understanding the data, needs of the business requirements and performing data quality operations before developing the model.
- Quantitatively determining value and deriving insights, then assuring the insights are leveraged to create positive impact to models and early warning signals.
- Use big data tools such as Hadoop, Spark, Hive, R, etc. to manage the analysis of large datasets
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
- Master's Degree in a quantitative field, e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Finance or Engineering, PhD or MBA with quantitative background is a plus.
- 2-3 years of experience with Data Science and model development.
- Strong knowledge of machine learning algorithms and concepts such as feature engineering, regression analysis, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, recommendation engines, natural language processing and their implementation.
- Strong programming skills are required. Experience with PYTHON, R, BIG DATA PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES (SPARK, MAP-REDUCE, HIVE), SAS.
- Strong technical and analytical skills with the ability to apply both quantitative methods and business skills to create insights and drive results
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and across a matrix organization partnering with decision sciences, business, technology teams and external vendors to deliver solutions at top speed
- Knowledge and Experience in API development is a plus
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time