American Express Careers
We are on the journey to develop a best in class, modern storage solution for the enterprise, to support the digital first strategy, improve our cost efficiency and ensure better self-service for all our consumers as part of our technology roadmap. With over 30B servicing communications stored, continuing to invest in innovation, modernization and leading-edge technologies is critically important, especially as we move through our platform and product journey.
We are looking for an Engineering Director to deliver world-class software solutions supporting our platform vision. This includes delivery of product engineering teams, fostering engineering culture, innovation using new technologies, designing and building new ways to enhance and expose our capabilities via API’s, cultivating continual improvement in processes service quality, and strategic planning.
- Lead an engineering team in an environment which includes modern web frameworks such as ReactJS, NoSQL databases with Couchbase, messaging with Kafka and Camel technologies, Elastic Cloud Storage, APIs, continuous integration/continuous delivery tool chains that utilize the latest automation offerings, and the full software development lifecycle.
- Ensures teams successfully develop, deploy, support, and monitor software across various environments.
- Delivering software solutions that meet or exceed customer and stakeholder expectations by fostering and driving innovation and experimentation within Technology.
- Able to share technology subject matter expertise with architects and other engineers across multiple organizations.
- Ensure frictionless automated delivery from the teams.
- Supply technical leadership and apply best practices to further leading-edge technology solutions.
- Ensure product releases are high quality, deliver excellent user experiences, perform seamlessly at scale, and comply with regulatory requirements.
- Liaise effectively with the product teams and establish highly collaborative, productive, partnerships with stakeholders.
- Develop culture enabling high employee engagement and cohesive, collaborative teams across domains and locations.
- Collaborate with a wide variety to stakeholders within business and technology teams to drive change required to execute product roadmaps.
- Coach, guide and promote creation of high quality, clearly documented, and compliant deliverables across engineering teams.
- Enable integrated teams to deliver technology solutions in support of key product initiatives by working closely with product managers, technical project managers, architects, engineers, and quality assurance.
- Keep up with the latest industry research and emerging technologies to ensure we are appropriately leveraging new techniques and capabilities.
- Cultivate an environment of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics.
- Recruit and cultivate top talent by driving technical and leadership development.
- Empower teams to succeed at scale.
This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.
- A Computer Science / Information Systems degree, or equivalent with significant work experience.
- Experience with leading teams across multiple geographic boundaries.
- Extensive hands-on experience building and managing the development of complex, large scale enterprise applications and products that require a deep understanding of application logic and dependencies.
- Experience with Couchbase, Kafka, Camel, OneAmex is ideal. Strong database technology background is preferred.
- Proven experience attracting, hiring, retaining and leading top engineering talent.
- Experience with Scrum, Kanban, or another Agile application development methodology. Knowledge of SAFe 4.5 will be preferred.
- Development experience in multiple languages including Java, RESTful API’s and NoSQL DBs like Couchbase, Cassandra, etc.
- Development experience on Microservices Architecture, Containers (Docker) and Big Data & Cornerstone Technologies.
- Strong foothold on DevOps tools like Splunk, Dynatrace, AppDynamics, etc.
- Experience on Machine Learning using Python and R will be an added advantage.
- Must have a thorough understanding of scalable, secure and robust n-tier architectures for achieving end-to-end performance, scalability, availability, reliability, usability, configurability, integration and security.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required, with ability to create and deliver effective presentations to Senior Leadership across the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve in the Technology space and the ability to influence and optimize input from key stakeholders in the standard setting process.
- Proven ability to participate in, and contribute simultaneously to, multiple work streams including planning, logistics, communication, and follow up across a diverse and virtual team.
- Strong relationship building skills and proven ability to influence and drive delivery across a geographical distributed organization with the demonstrated ability to debate ideas/strategy, be comfortable managing constructive conflict, and not being afraid to challenge the status quo.
- Strong focus on customers and clients with a proven history of exceeding customers’ expectations.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time