American Express Careers
General Counsel’s Organization:
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
An opportunity exists within the legal team supporting American Express Global Commercial Services, a group which provides a broad range of card and lending products, corporate expense management programs and digital solutions to small, medium, large and multinational companies around the globe. This role specifically supports Non-Card Lending, which provides working capital, vendor payment and supply chain solutions to business customers. This position is well-suited for someone with a Fintech background who has always wanted to work in a fast paced in-house environment supporting rapidly evolving products. Some of the products that will be supported by this position are:
Role & Responsibilities:
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- Provide legal advice and guidance on new Non-Card Lending features and product enhancements, addressing resulting legal or regulatory implications.
- Conduct marketing reviews for Non-Card Lending products, crafting compliant, customer-friendly communications.
- Partner with, and support escalations from, operations, compliance and credit risk teams, including advising on customer remediations.
- Collaborate closely, and develop strong relationships, with colleagues across the General Counsel’s Organization including subject matter experts in antitrust, litigation, technology and privacy.
Are you ready for the challenge?
- Bachelor’s degree & J.D.
- Qualified to practice law in NY or eligibility to do so
- 3+ years of experience as an attorney
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to fit message to audience
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills with well-developed attention to detail
- Ability to interpret and apply law and regulation in a practical, commonsense manner
- Ability to prioritize, project-manage multiple concurrent projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to identify and implement process improvements
- Excellent relationship building and influencing abilities with a collaborative work style
- Experience drafting and negotiating
- Strong work ethic and personal accountability
- Experience in the payments or financial services industry is a plus.
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10080
- Workplace Flexibility: Potential to work remotely part of the time based on current projects and team needs.
- Travel: Little to none
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
Delivering extraordinary experiences to its customers and employees every day.
The success of American Express since its inception has been defined by its ability to innovate, evolve, disrupt, and take risks. What has remained constant throughout this history of transformation is our dedication to our customers, to our employees, and to the values on which American Express was built: integrity, quality, respect, and community.
Our open, creative, and collaborative culture is a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. So if you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time