American Express Careers
Engineer - Enterprise Cloud Platform
You won’t just shape the world of software.
You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Taking your place as a core member of an agile team driving the latest development practices
- Writing code and unit tests, working with API specs and automation
- Identifying opportunities for adopting new technologies
- Leading a team of engineers that delivers knowledge management solutions to businesses worldwide
American Express has embarked on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace join our transformation team. You will join a rock star engineering team that will deliver the next generation of automation tooling, business intelligence capabilities and reporting.
This automation tooling will support CI/CD within American Express across all platforms. You will work across a wide range of tools and use an even wider range or technologies to deliver world class solutions. The innovations you create will handle the gathering of analytic data across American Express and enable teams to measure end to end product delivery time and create self-service dashboards and reporting. You will work within the ELK stack and work directly with both Elastic and Kibana or other open source tools to create dashboards and reporting for our customer’s needs. You will also work within the Atlassian toolsets creating collaboration solutions for Jira, Confluence, BitBucket and Crowd. You will create custom solutions using the latest open source technologies to serve our customers within American Express. We are a start-up, we will wear many hats, work fast and smart, and adapt and iterate quickly.
· Architect, design, prototype, and deliver solutions across applications to support strategy and deliver business value
· Serve as a core member of agile team that designs and develops software applications and tests and builds automation tools
· Partners with customers and other internal teams and technical product managers to deliver enhancements to the platform
· Uses technical acumen to provide design alternatives, ask probing questions and support the team in technical issue resolution
· Builds Developer focused technical community
Are you up for the challenge?
- Preferably a BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and challenges and articulate solutions
- Willingness to learn new technologies and exploit them to their optimal potential
At the core of Software Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Product Knowledge
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Ø BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field with 5+ years of Software Engineering experience
Ø 5+ years as Software Engineer with application development experience with at least two programming languages ( Java, Python, Ruby, PHP,Perl)
Ø 2+ years of Experience with Continuous Integration and related tools (e.g. Jenkins, Bamboo, Puppet, Ansible etc..)
Ø 3+ years of scripting experience ( e.g. Bash, php, python, groovy, curl, use/code RESTFUL APIs …)
Ø Extensive experience with Linux, preferably with RedHat/CentOS.
Ø Solid Experience with Version Control systems - ( GitHub, Svn, git stash)
Ø Experience writing and maintaining tools and scripts to support automation and operations.
Ø Ability to troubleshoot issues in complex, distributed, multi-tier architectures.
Ø Passionate about operational excellence and documentation.
Ø Passionate about operational excellence and documentation.
Ø Experience using relational and noSQL databases ( Postgres, mysql, mongoldb, couch base etc…)
Ø Detail-oriented with strong thought leadership and analytical abilities
Ø A positive, can-do attitude and great relationship building skills
Ø Excellent written and Verbal communication skills
Ø Experience with Analytics and data warehousing technology including but not limited to Tableau, Kibana and Elastic Search, Hygieia, Hadoop
Ø Experience with troubleshooting and performance tuning in JVMs, Web servers.
Ø Experience in architectural best practices.
Ø Virtualization, Containerization experience, Knowledge of Docker, Vagrant, kubernettes will be helpful.
Ø Experience in data visualization.
Ø Experience collaborating with multiple teams.
Ø Worked in SaaS/PaaS companies as DevOps engineer.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time