American Express Careers
Sr Software Engineer
Do the right thing for our customers, our company and your career.
We are looking for several high performing and enthusiastic Senior Engineers to join our Loyalty Technology Team at American Express in Burgess Hill. Over the past 2 years we have begun transforming our technology platforms towards a Microservice style architecture and we are now looking to accelerate that transformation by hiring a new wave of engineering teams.
The Loyalty Programs including Membership Rewards are a key Brand differentiator for American Express, which we are continuously enhancing to stay ahead of the competition. You will join one of our scrum teams building capabilities such as Pay With Points, Airline Partner Exchange and Customer Engagement and Insights.
These roles will partner closely with our product owners within collaborative scrum teams, in an environment that values interesting technical challenges, using best practice design approaches and prioritises your professional development.
We have a diverse range of technologies, and so do not expect you to be an expert in every technology. We want you to have a deep knowledge of one, with some experience of a further one or two and, more importantly, an interest in learning.
- Spring or Java EE 7, with specific focus on REST, Data Access and Reactive approaches
- Writes clean, tested and monitored scalable code
- Performs all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications, including developing prototypes, writing new code and creating API's
- Works with Product Owners to prioritise features for ongoing sprints
- Works with Quality Engineers to ensure automated test scripts are incorporated for new features
- Learns, and grows professionally
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Relevant software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as:
- Demonstrated experience working in a team of Engineers
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- University Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, related field or equivalent experience
- Experience in Agile techniques, preferably some experience with BDD and TDD
- Understands the complete vertical platform environment (technical stack)
- Exposure to distributed (multi-tiered) systems and relational databases
- Technical leadership skills that demonstrate helping set direction and mentoring members of the team
- Good collaboration and communication skills across all cultures and band levels, and enthusiastic
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- Car Allowance/Company Car Option
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time