American Express Careers
Sr. Staff Architect(Events & Streaming)
This is a Band 40 role.
The American Express Digital Architecture team is responsible for platform strategy, architecture and engineering for a core set of business-critical platforms at American Express.
The successful candidate will be focused on driving the architectural and strategic directions for the integrated Web, Mobile and Voice platform and focusing more specifically on Events and Streaming technology
This role is also responsible for the direct management of Senior Engineers/Architects, investigate new technology, build proof of concepts as well as strategic planning.
The Staff Architect reports to the American Express Digital Principal Architect.
Location: New York, US
- Analyze use cases, procedures, and problems to develop technical architecture for new and existing platforms, and provide architectural guidance and oversight
- Drive key architecture decisions to solve critical, complex problems for American Express Digital
- Manage team of senior engineers/architects to drive American Express Digital platforms' technical direction and strategic objectives
- Manage and/or lead a team of architecture team members, obtaining necessary resources, acting as an escalation point and removing impediments to achieve goals and objectives
- Lead architecture for large cross-functional teams across multiple geographies
- Align efforts with central architecture function to influence technical standards and progress enterprise objectives
- Network with peers on technical matters, design prototypes, system designs and enterprise-wide research projects
- Combine in-depth specialty area(s) with broad knowledge of other disciplines to deliver coherent end-to-end architectural guidance
- Focus on driving architecture towards long-term Business Unit/Enterprise goals and objectives
- Solve novel problems that impact products and/or technologies
- Design new techniques, methodologies, and concepts for tackling broad cross-cutting initiatives
- Plan & direct research and complex investigations across complex delivery efforts
- Manage development of working prototypes to validate proposed solutions and minimize risk associated with delivery effort
- Perform reviews and provide oversight across various delivery teams to ensure alignment with architectural and technical strategy.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in the development of enterprise technology strategies
- Proven ability to transform business use cases into high quality technology solutions
- Experience with publish/subscribe platforms
- Experience with stream processing platforms like Spark, Kafka Streaming or Flink
- Experience with real time analytics databases like Druid
- Good understanding of scaling models like Sharding
- Understanding of functional paradigms for data management i.e. append-only databases, event-sourcing and state machines
- Broad culture of distributed programming techniques like REST and modern RPC stacks
- Good understanding of Authentication and Authorization models in distributed and heterogenous environments
- Ability to conceptualize and design enterprise-grade APIs using asynchronous and reactive paradigms
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and/or contributions to open source code bases
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time