American Express Careers
Big Data Sr. Engineer
- Hands-on technical projects; Apply analysis based on research and introspection to recommend solutions.
- Design and lead solutions that provide frameworks, interfaces, and services that can be extended and reused across the portfolio.
- Ensure architecture is consistent with enterprise architecture standards, guidelines and principles.
- Work with engineering teams to ensure that implementations are aligned with the Technical Platform’s Blueprint specifications.
- Designs, codes, tests, maintains, and documents applications
- Contribute to technology direction, develop architecture and influence implementation to gain measurable business improvements.
- Frequently collaborate with other functional teams' leadership and engineers to align and demonstrate solutions.
- Focused effort on delivering enterprise-grade APIs to expose Technical Platform capabilities.
- Apply specialized knowledge of industry standards or practices to assigned initiatives.
- Identify complex and or broad problems and issues and formulate recommendations.
- Interact with business partners to better understand their objectives and help them understand the technical landscape.
- Extend business product innovation through the introduction, adoption and implementation of technology.
- 6+ years of active engineering and/or architecture experience in a complex environment and/or comparable experience.
- Successful design, creation and deployment of one or more enterprise-grade technology assets, including integration of cross-platform solutions in an Agile product environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field required; advanced degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience with Big Data ETL design, development and maintenance with successful implementation of large Enterprise Big Data solutions.
- Expertise in objected oriented analysis and design across a variety of platforms.
- Deep understanding of XML, JSON, Web Service technologies, and data structure fundamentals.
- Expertise with Java/J2EE, and Spring ; Expertise with building RESTful APIs, Micro Services.
- Support on-loading/off-loading data to/from Hadoop environment.
- Experience with Machine Learning concepts such as Kmeans, Linear Regression, Logical Regression, SVM.
- Experience in batch, streaming and real-time platforms.
- Knowledgeable with encryption standards.
- Shown experience in Big Data and Machine Learning technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, MAPR (plus), NoSQL, Hive, Pig, Python, MapReduce.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with scripting languages such as Python, etc.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with in-memory data processing and presentation (Jethro, Kognitio, Tableau).
- Experience with DevOps tools, automating engineering and operational tasks.
- Expertise in solving problems complex OS, database, file system, network configuration, and application & web server issues.
- Experience with a broad range of software languages, open source tools and products and financial business domain knowledge will be a plus.
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external Business Partner.
- American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
- US Candidates/Employees: Click here to view the "EEO is the Law" poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
- If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm and http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf
- There is no VISA sponsorship associated with this position.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time