American Express Careers
Senior Full Stack Java Engineer, R&D
Don’t just have a great idea, build it.
American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves.
This opportunity would suit a highly qualified and experienced software engineer who has proven technical leadership, a passion for modern technology and a demonstrated ability to deliver creative solutions. An ability to challenge and enthusiasm to constantly learn, improve and find new ways of working are key.
The successful applicant will join the Member Get Member (refer a friend) web application development team; a dynamic, talented and creative team of engineers who consistently deliver innovative solutions that drive significant growth through card acquisition. The team operates in a fully agile model and has dedicated, co-located Product Owners.
- Accountability for the delivery of quality code that is fully tested and scalable
- Work with Product Owners to define requirements for new features, build product roadmaps and plan increments of work
- Drive automation and ensure automated test scripts are completed for new features in partnership with QA Engineers
- Perform all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications, including developing prototypes, writing new code and creating API's
- Design and build integration components and interfaces in collaboration with Architects and Infrastructure Engineers as necessary
- Demonstrate a passion for continuous learning and willingness to adopt new technologies
- Collaborate with engineering teams: find opportunities to educate and learn from other mobile & web engineering teams
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Full Java stack software development experience:
- Minimum Java 7
- Knowledge of automated build / continuous delivery, experience of Git, Maven and Jenkins
- Knowledge of Spring frameworks and eco-system; Spring dependency injection and Spring MVC
- Knowledge of Junit (Mockito or Powermock)
- Experience of RESTful API and micro services design
- Demonstrated experience working in a team of Engineers
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, related engineering or science degree
- Experience in Agile techniques
- Experience developing multi-tiered systems with relational databases
- Strong communication skills - able to explain technical concepts to designers, product managers and business partners in ways that are meaningful to them
Some of the following experience would also be desirable:
- Additional front end web development skills such as HTML5, AJAX, CSS
- Knowledge of XML, BDD (Cucumber), Hibernate, NO-SQL Databases, KAFKA
- Cloud experience, for example Docker, OpenShift, Unix and service discovery tools.
- Experience with performance and monitoring tools e.g. Splunk and App Dynamics
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- Car Allowance/Company Car Option
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time