American Express Careers
Junior Commercial Lawyer
Right now we have an exciting opportunity for a Junior Commercial Lawyer to join our Legal Services Team (LST) within the General Counsel’s Organisation (GCO).
As an integral part of this busy team you will provide legal support to clients and projects across all business lines of American Express.
You will report to either a Leader or an Attorney within the Legal Services Team.
We are seeking confident candidates, who have good commercial awareness, experience of working in a commercial contract space and who are able to use their legal skills to work closely with key business clients, across all jurisdictions, on a day to day basis.
Any of the following would be a bonus, but are not required for this role:
- cross jurisdictional experience (e.g. Europe, Asia Pacific, JAPA); and
- fluency/advanced proficiency in a language other than English (such as Spanish);
- providing commercial, legal advice and support across all business units, including preparing and advising on a wide range of commercial agreements and legal documents, for example – reviewing and advising on confidentiality agreements, sponsorship agreements, marketing agreements, referral agreements, standard terms and conditions and product application forms;
- providing legal support to project teams, including drafting and project management;
- working with stakeholders to identify and manage legal risk, including advising on various operational risk events, handling customer complaints that are escalated to the financial ombudsman service, and reviewing marketing materials and customer communications;
- carrying out legal research;
- supporting internal governance and approval processes, including coordinating with Compliance, Risk, Controllership, Tax and other internal stakeholders as appropriate;
- applying commercially-minded, legal input to business processes and English language agreements governed by non-UK jurisdictions, while understanding when to escalate to local market lawyers;
- implementing and improving methods for legal knowledge management;
- attending relevant training courses; and
- Performing other duties as assigned by leader from time to time.
- you must be a junior UK-qualified solicitor (or hold an equivalent qualification from a common law jurisdiction, provided you have some experience advising on English law matters);
- solid understanding of general principles of law applicable to commercial practice;
- good contract drafting – experience in drafting and amending commercial contracts and a strong grasp of the basic skills;
- strong analytical skills and high attention to detail;
- demonstrated ability to work under time pressure to meet tight deadlines and clients’ expectations; and
- Intellectually strong, with rapid grasp of key issues.
- high engagement – passionate about commercial law, inquisitive and able to self-initiate learning and challenge the status quo;
- ability to problem solve;
- disciplined time management and skilled at effective multi-tasking – able to manage and prioritise a wide variety of matters and client contacts at once;
- communication skills – able to communicate clearly, concisely, effectively and persuasively with clients, senior business, legal management and external regulators, both verbally and in writing;
- ability to interpret and apply legal principles to commercial issues in a practical, hands-on, common sense manner;
- process management skills – ability to help identify and implement improvements in work process to enhance efficiency and productivity;
- adaptability – a true team player who is able and willing to work both as part of a team and independently with minimal supervision;
- strong relationship focus – able to build solid working relationships with employees, contractors and external parties;
- willingness to learn and grow, and to leverage the experience gained in this position to expand skill set for future career growth at American Express;
- Commitment to integrity and American Express values.
The LST team is based in London. We are interested in hearing from applicants who may live elsewhere, are seeking remote working arrangements or who may want to work in our Manchester based offices. As a forward thinking employer, we are also open to applications from people who are perhaps returning to the work force and/or seeking more flexible working arrangements. This is not an absolute requirement for the position.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time