The Global Digital Acquisition organization within Mobile & Web Engineering is looking for talented backend engineers to join our Platform Excellence engineering group. We build the core capabilities that power the digital acquisition software platform and enable the journey of a prospective customer of American Express.
In this role, you will use your extensive knowledge of Java, microservices, messaging patterns and API design to build a variety of technical capabilities for internal and external users. You will create highly performant and available, mission-critical software systems to power user experiences in the digital acquisition platform.
If you were to join our team, these are the kinds of things you'd do:
- Collaborate with software architects to design the next generation of the Digital Acquisition platform APIs and the software systems powering them
- Work in a cross-functional team with other engineers to design, build, test and deploy software components enabling platform capabilities
- Review colleagues' code with an eye toward performance, reliability and maintainability
- Help our production support team address issues encountered in production and fix defects when discovered
- Continuously learn about new technologies and help keep the entire group abreast of industry developments and evolving best practices
- Mentor other engineers and be mentored in turn
Requirements for this position:
- 7+ years of software development experience in multiple project environments
- Strong Java fundamentals (including Java 8 features)
- Hands-on experience building components of service-oriented architectures using REST APIs and RPC protocols
- Working knowledge of enterprise architecture and integration patterns
- Working knowledge of Unix system programming
Also critical to your success:
- Familiarity with and desire to work using agile methodologies and practices such as Scrum/Kanban, iterations, user stories and development flows using continuous delivery, and automated testing
- A drive to stay up-to-date with the latest web architecture technology including language innovations, containerization, storage technology and runtime problem solving
- The ability to see and to understand the larger context in which your team works and to craft solutions within that context
- Adaptability to changes in product requirements, organizational structures and business conditions
- A strong belief in your personal responsibility for ensuring quality craftsmanship
- An open, collaborative spirit
- Strong computer science fundamentals
- Experience building and operating production systems using at least one of the following languages: Scala, Kotlin, Go, Rust, C
- Hands-on experience with popular scripting languages like Ruby and Python
- Familiarity with the most common web and API security issues and how to defend against them
- Experience with Domain-Driven Design (DDD)
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 10, 2018, 4:02:58 PM