American Express Careers
Associate Counsel - Regulatory, Banking, and Insurance Legal Team
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice. This helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Role & Responsibilities:
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- Serve as an advisor on various U.S. consumer financial and prudential bank regulatory matters
- Review and counsel on marketing materials, disclosures and other customer communications
- Draft and negotiate agreements
- Collaborate with colleagues across the General Counsel’s Organization and other groups
- J.D. with admission to practice law in the U.S.
- 2+ years of work experience in a law firm and/or in-house corporate legal environment
- Interest in developing a deep understanding of business needs and objectives with a close partnership with business clients
- Strong communication skills with ability to convey advice clearly and synthesize complex issues
- Must work well in cross-functional team settings
- Admission to the New York Bar in good standing or eligibility to do so
- Strong experience with U.S. bank regulatory matters (consumer and/or prudential)
- Experience working with financial institutions
- Passion for working towards creative, solution-oriented outcomes that effectively address legal requirements
- Independent, capable of handling multiple assignments simultaneously
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10285
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
Our open, creative, and collaborative culture is a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. So if you are ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time