American Express Careers
Senior Java Engineer - FX International Payments
We are looking for high performing and enthusiastic Senior Software Engineers to join our Foreign Exchange International Payments technology team in American Express, Burgess Hill.
These roles will partner closely with our product owners within collaborative scrum teams, in an environment that values interesting technical challenges, using standard methodology design approaches and prioritises your professional development.
Your primary software development experience will be using Java Technologies; for example some of JPA and CDI, Spring MVC, Spring Data and Spring Boot and RESTful microservices.
We would request technical leadership skills that demonstrate helping set direction and mentoring members of the team.
- Writes clean, tested and monitored scalable code.
- Works with Product Owners to prioritise features for ongoing sprints.
- Works with Quality Engineers to ensure automated test scripts are incorporated for new features.
- Performs all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications, including developing prototypes, writing new code and crafting API's.
- Designs and builds integration components and interfaces in collaboration with Architects and Infrastructure Engineers as necessary.
This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.
- Meaningful software development experience (minimum Java 7, Java 8 preferable) in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as:
- Demonstrated experience working in a team of Engineers.
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing.
- University Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience in Agile techniques, preferably some experience with BDD and TDD.
- Understands the complete vertical platform environment (technical stack).
- Exposure to distributed (multi-tiered) systems and relational databases.
- Good collaboration and communication skills across all cultures and band levels, and passionate about keeping up to date with new technologies.
Some of the following experience would also be desirable:
- Knowledge of Spring including MVC, AOP, Spring Boot, REST, XML, Microservice architecture, Cucumber, JPA, JUnit, Mocking, JSP, Oracle DB SQL.
- Experience with Functional Programming practices.
- Cloud experience, for example Docker, OpenShift, Unix and service discovery tools.
- Experience with performance and monitoring tools e.g. Splunk and App Dynamics.
- Experience developing RESTful API’s and micro services.
- Knowledge of automated build / continuous delivery, experience of Maven, Jenkins, Groovy and other JVM languages a plus.
- Current knowledge of payments industry, financial services or FinTech.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time