American Express Careers
Engineer – Global Statements
Don’t just follow digital trends, Help create one.
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers and this new role exists within the Global Statement Technology organisation.
Our vision is to provide 1st class customer communications, developing re-usable capabilities, optimising investment, reducing time-to-market, and innovating. The successful candidate will need to be highly adaptable and have strong relationship and influencing skills. The candidate will be working with the Composition Tools – CSF Designer, Emtex and Streamweaver.
- Analyse user stories to appropriately support design activities.
- Perform all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications including developing prototypes and writing new code / API's.
- Function as an active member of an agile team through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation).
- Produce software builds from software source code.
- Conduct integration tests as defined in the test specifications, including event logging and reporting of results.
- Perform unit and assembly testing of software components including the design, implementation, evaluation, and execution of unit and assembly test scripts.
- Conduct code reviews and tests of automated build scripts.
- Debug software components, identifies, fixes and verifies remediation of code defects (own work and the work of others).
- Identify opportunities to adopt innovative technologies.
- Provides continuous support for ongoing production application availability.
- Write instructions to guide computer operators during production runs.
- Work with product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and manage a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues.
- Designs, codes, tests, corrects and documents large and/or complex programs and program modifications from supplied specifications using agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well-engineered result.
- Takes part in reviews of own work and of colleagues' work.
Opening date for applications: 30/07/2018
Closing date for applications: 27/08/2018
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods.
- Experience with design and coding across one or more platforms and languages (e.g. Java).
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing.
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
- Experience in designing, coding and deploying applications within a distributed environment.
- Has working knowledge of the range of tools used in the planning, analysing, designing, building, testing, configuring and maintaining of assigned application(s).
- Able to participate in assigned team’s software delivery methodology (Agile, Scrum, Agile XP, Test-Driven Development).
- Good Understanding of Version Control System i.e. GIT, etc. using tools like Source Tree, GIT Bash, Bitbucket etc.
- Good Understanding and working knowledge of Build Automation Tools and Frameworks.
- Experience in continuous delivery & continuous improvement methods required.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken is essential.
- Good knowledge of micro service style architecture design, non-blocking RESTful APIs and reactive programming.
- Excellent relationship building skills with both Technology and Product Owner teams.
- Extensive Document composition experience is mandatory. This must include experience with CSF Designer (version 16 or later), Emtex and Streamweaver. Additional composition tool experience such as DOC/1 is an advantage.
- Experience in working with HP Quality Center, RALLY and testing automation tools including such as Selenium is required.
- Experience with coding skills across a variety of platforms is a plus. Mainframe and Windows experience is a minimum requirement for this position.
- The ability to code in JAVA and an understanding of microservices is required.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience, is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with object-oriented design, design patterns and coding with variety of languages.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time