American Express Careers
Manager - Risk Manager
Don’t just work for a market leading global company. Help grow one.
Overview of The Department
Central Rating and Underwriting (CRU) sits within the Risk and Information Management division and forms the institutional credit risk management function within American Express. The CRU team plays the critical role of assessing and managing the risk of institutional exposures across all business units within American Express, and in all regions globally. Credit exposures are primarily generated through corporate and small business card programs, working capital facilities, via merchant service relationships where non-delivery risk exists, and among the securities portfolio held for firm-wide liquidity. CRU is led from Salt Lake City with regional teams in New York, London, Singapore and Sydney.
In addition to determining the internal credit rating which drives the probability of default of each exposure, CRU also calculates the loss given default of these obligors while underwriting card programs. As a bank holding company, American Express must comply with the highest global banking standards set by Basel and implemented by the bank’s primarily regulatory, the Federal Reserve.
Managers in CRU are responsible for rating and underwriting credit exposures in their assigned region, industry, and business line. Fundamental analysis incorporates a thorough review of business, financial, industry and country risk coupled with support from internal and external rating model outputs. Assessment includes understanding of the need for credit extension, profitability of the relationship and program structures. CRU managers interact with various constituents across the firm including front office sales, business unit risk partners, and credit administration to perform their critical role.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Expertise as a credit and underwriting decision maker dealing with commercial exposures ranging from small business or middle-market to large, multinational institutions
- Thorough understanding of fundamental financial analysis including the ability to review corporate financial statements to determine the ability of the obligor to honor its credit obligations
- Comfort with GAAP/IFRS accounting standards, corporate valuation, and forecasting
- Knowledge of how probability of default and loss given default determine economic capital
- Experience in determining appropriate credit capacity, structuring of facilities, and risk mitigation techniques
- Familiarity with quantitative credit models (such as Moody’s RiskCalc, CreditEdge, etc) and knowledge of how to interpret the outputs, and when deviation from the model has appropriate defense
- Comfort with public agency ratings and supporting analysis
- Understanding of current macroeconomic trends and how to provide recommendations to improve the PD estimation based on the business cycle
- Experience preparing company-specific and industry-wide credit memorandums
- Excellent judgment in making sound rating and underwriting decisions to maximize profitability and mitigate risk
- Familiarity with banking regulations, particularly those imposed by Basel Committee on Banking Supervision
- Familiarity with global markets
- Fluency in German is a plus.
- Specific industry expertise in travel (airlines, cruiselines, hospitality), financial institutions, or public finance
- Experience in rating and / or underwriting at a leading financial institution or rating agency
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time