American Express Careers
Head of Client Management
This Global Merchant and Network Services (GMNS) Senior Manager position is responsible for providing strategic thought leadership, leading a team of Client Managers and Sales Support, leading key negotiations, managing internal and external senior relationships and driving profitable business building initiatives with a portfolio of American Express Belgium and Luxembourg Merchant base.
The role, which reports into GM Head of GMNS Belgium and Luxembourg, is responsible for leading a team who have accountability for a defined portfolio of Merchants from diverse industries located in Belgium and Luxembourg.
This Senior Manager role is responsible for leading this Client Management team, focused on enhancing premium value delivery to our largest local merchants, improving merchant satisfaction, whilst respecting the contractual and compliance obligations, and deliver against American Express commercial objectives.
The successful candidate will provide inclusive strategic thought leadership, focusing on the team and American Express global commercial capabilities. He/She will be a consummate relationship leader, working across American Express GMNS in an open and collaborative manner, interfacing with GMNS EMEA market Client Management heads, leaders and colleagues from other American Express issuer lines of business (Consumer and Corporate) as well as colleagues from GMNS business functions including (Marketing and Business insights, Risk, Pricing, Legal, Compliance, Fraud, Accertify, Merchant Servicing Teams etc…).
The position will be responsible for maintaining all senior level contacts across all of these merchants and for formulating, together with the Head of GMNS Belux, the team’s business growth and Belux negotiation strategy. The role is based in Brussels, some limited and punctual travels across Europe will be required.
- Lead the team through all phases of the client management process, from global client planning to global sales execution.
- Ensure the team acquires new merchant commodities to drive aggressive Business Volume growth, identifying new areas of acceptance across the portfolio. In addition, identify other new opportunities where the merchant can make full use of American Express payment solutions.
- Drive and lead global card acceptance contract re-negotiations, ensuring premium value in line with meeting the economics objectives.
- Ensure the team implement joint marketing programmes that drive growth to the merchant and value added offers to American Express Card Members.
- Maintain senior level relationships across all managed merchants and relevant industry associations.
- Work across the Blue Box organisation to develop and coordinate industry specific Blue Box strategies/deals/proposals across all business lines, including fraud management opportunities.
- Identify and provide thought leadership, response strategies and best practices for issues that arise with Managed Merchants.
- Directly manage the Client Management team and Sales Support Analyst.
- Liaise with other GMS markets/regions to share best practices and understand and disseminate issues
- As appropriate, interface with fraud/operations/technologies/legal etc. to ensure appropriate customer servicing strategies
- Up skill current organization through people development, formulating innovative sales approaches and transferring best practice. Drive development planning, goal setting, coaching, training, support, feedback and overall talent management.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Strong people leadership skills which create engagement and commitment to drive superior results achievements
- Strategic vision and innovative mindset: strong understanding of the GMNS business / financial model is a plus
- The ability to translate strategic business direction into actions and tactics that drive profitable business growth and retention
- 5 years+ Results-driven commercial leadership and the ability to drive sustainable growth
- Proven senior level negotiation and presentation skills to internal and external audiences to Board Level in large global organizations. Excellent relationship management skills and a strong track record in managing complex or key account portfolios
- The ability to solve issues, take business decisions. Creative problem solver / proactive Strategic thinker
- The ability to cement strong internal partnerships across all areas of Blue Box locally and across Europe that will support the team
- A solid understanding of the Payment Industry and/or ability to quickly learn all Blue Box business units and dynamics between Issuing and Merchant Acquiring business will be a distinct advantage
- The ability to articulate and coach others on the GMNS value proposition
- B2B / B2C marketing experience is relevant
- The ability to analyse and interpret business results, financial performances and drive performance
- Good knowledge of Belgium and Luxembourg Merchant landscape and markets dynamics.
- Clear communication skills with high influencing skills through concise, clear reasoning and confidence with senior audience
- Skilled in preparing impactful Powerpoint decks and using Excel
Education and learning time
- The function requires a knowledge that is at least equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) with 5 years of relevant experience.
- Dutch - Experienced (written & oral)
- French - Experienced (written & oral)
- English - Experienced (written & oral)
- Skilled in preparing impactful Powerpoint decks and using Excel.
- MS Office - Experienced
- Proprietary IT platforms
- Job specific IT systems
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time