American Express Careers
Senior Java Engineer
Don’t just follow digital trends, Help create one.
We are looking for a high performing and enthusiastic Senior Java Engineer to join our Foreign Exchange International Payments technology team in American Express, Burgess Hill.
This role will partner closely with our product owners within a scrum team, in an environment that uses standard methodology design approaches.
Your primary software development experience will be using Java Technologies: JPA and CDI, Spring MVC, Spring Data and Spring Boot and RESTful microservices.
We also require technical leadership skills that demonstrate helping set direction and mentoring members of the team.
- Writes clean, tested and monitored scalable code within the FXIP platform
- Works with Product Owners to prioritise features for ongoing sprints
- Works with Quality Engineers to ensure automated test scripts are incorporated for new features
- Performs all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications, including developing prototypes, writing new code and crafting API's
- Designs and builds integration components and interfaces in collaboration with Architects and Infrastructure Engineers as necessary
Posting date: 30/07/2018
Closing date: 27/08/2018
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Meaningful software development experience (Java 8) in a professional environment
- Demonstrated experience working in a team of Engineers
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- University Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field, or equivalent engineering-based degree is preferable
- Experience in Agile techniques, including some experience with BDD and TDD
- Understands the complete vertical platform environment (technical stack)
- Exposure to distributed (multi-tiered) systems and relational databases
- Good collaboration and communication skills across all cultures and band levels, and passionate about keeping up to date with new technologies
- Domain expertise in the Financial Services industry, particularly with regard to Foreign Exchange / cross-currency.
- Experience in designing and coding performant APIs interfacing with third party data providers.
- You will also have experience in deploying applications to a cloud-based environment
- The following skills would also be desirable:
- Knowledge of Spring including MVC, AOP, Spring Boot, REST, XML, Microservice architecture, Cucumber, JPA, JUnit, Mocking, JSP, Oracle DB SQL
- Experience with Functional Programming practices
- Detailed cloud experience, for example Docker, OpenShift, Unix and service discovery tools.
- Experience with performance and monitoring tools e.g. Splunk and App Dynamics.
- Knowledge of automated build / continuous delivery, experience o f Maven, Jenkins, Groovy and other JVM languages a plus.
- Experience in currency exchange rate quoting principles would be ideal.
American Express prides itself on being committed to the diversity of its workforce.
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time