American Express Careers
Sr. Engineer II - Data Scientist
The ‘GRT Data Science Innovation’ Team is part of the Global Risk Technology organization within American Express. This group is responsible for developing risk models and assessing risk in any of the new initiatives helping American Express at the enterprise level to deliver world-class Analytics, Insights and Analysis Products for the Global Risk Technology portfolio.
You will be challenged with designing and creating world class risk models by leveraging machine learning and advanced methodologies. The person will perform data analysis, modeling, synthesize conclusions, communicate and present recommendations to the partners. The position is part of a highly collaborative environment, interacting with and influencing partners across the Global Risk Technology portfolio at American Express
As a Data Scientist at American Express, you’ll be part of a team that’s leading the innovation at enterprise level, using the big data computing technologies and operating across millions of customers and billions of customer transactions to unleash the big opportunities that help American Express and its customers have unique and smoothest experience, save money and time.
· Primary focus on building machine learning models from development through testing and validation.
- Collaborate with other technology and data ingestion teams to study the existing models and add valuable insights to improve models
- Ability to perform thorough research and evaluate new analytical models as well as deep dive into existing models
- Understanding the data, needs of the business requirements and performing data quality operations before developing the model.
- Quantitatively determining value and deriving insights, then assuring the insights are leveraged to create positive impact to decision science models and early warning signals.
· Use big data tools such as Hadoop, Spark, Hive, R, etc. to manage the analysis of millions of customers and billions of customer transaction records
- Master's Degree in a quantitative field, e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Finance or Engineering, PhD or MBA with quantitative background is a plus.
- 2-3 years of experience with Data Science and model development.
- Strong knowledge of machine learning algorithms and concepts such as feature engineering, regression analysis, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, recommendation engines, natural language processing and their implementation.
- Strong programming skills are required. Experience with PYTHON, R, BIG DATA PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES (SPARK, MAP-REDUCE, HIVE), SAS.
- Strong technical and analytical skills with the ability to apply both quantitative methods and business skills to create insights and drive results
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and across a matrix organization partnering with decision sciences, business, technology teams and external vendors to deliver solutions at top speed
- Knowledge and Experience in API development is a plus
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time