American Express Careers
Engineering Director - Database Technologies
Make an impact on our business and the business world.
The Engineering Director leads a team of Data Architects and Database Engineers within the Next Generation Data Management team, responsible for architecting innovative technical solutions and building scalable database architectures and aligned infrastructures in support of new business growth initiatives while maintaining critical compliance regulations. The Director is responsible for the modernization of database engineering capabilities to include NoSQL and Big Data technologies across enterprise.
The Director is engaged and influences Amex Customers that are transforming their technology and business capabilities for critical enterprise company platforms / products. The Director leverages and innovates on emerging database technologies and design patterns to accelerate business growth while reducing the overall time to market. The NGDM organization co-locates with the Software Engineering Teams providing turn-key scalable data, data architecture, and database engineering solutions.
The successful candidate will bring solid skills of software engineering and database technology trends that will enable increased usage of open source and modern database technologies. This person will train and direct a team of Data Architects and Database Engineers to ensure delivery of data solutions that meet business needs and requirements. The candidate will provide technical direction to resources, while actively participating in database, domain, and API design sessions while influencing best practices across the Unit CIO / Application teams. This position will also provide leadership to cross-functional teams while serving as the primary point of contact from inception to delivery for database needs. The candidate must have experience with CI/CD, DevOps, and Automation while the database components are rapidly being transformed to be deployed similar to application code. The Engineering Director must play a critical role in defining the technical capabilities and have an ability to market and influence the strategy to enterprise consumers.
Other key aspects of the Engineering Director role are as follows:
Agile - with an ability to manage data stories across multiple agile software product development teams (including scaled agile framework) to promote company’s technology vision and strategy in a scalable, iterative environment
- Relationship building - creating and maintaining strong relationships and partnerships with our customers (Leadership, Architects, Engineers, TPMs, Scrum Teams) across the enterprise
- Attract, retain and grow top data architecture and database engineering talent across the organization, providing guidance, career development and mentorship to team members
- Foster and drive innovation and experimentation, delivering software and database solutions that meet or exceed customer and stakeholder expectations, often helping shape business requirements in a manner that optimally leverages technology teams
- Deliver database products that provides superior user experiences, linking customer needs and business drivers together through innovative product engineering
- Cultivate an environment of engineering excellence and continuous improvement, leading changes that drive efficiencies into existing engineering and delivery processes
- Work with application partners to assimilate new DB technology into scalable software solutions, leveraging and contributing to engineering best practices across the company
- Possess a strong technical background and able to learn & apply new technologies quickly and efficiently
- Leads the design and development, quality and economics of database delivery within Next Generation Data Management team within Amex
- Drives the optimization of data footprint and rationalization of applications
- Provides direction for technical and business resources that actively participate in database selection and implementation
- Influence the product and technology roadmap with strategic database vendors, ensuring Amex requirements are included in the upcoming releases
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- Proven experience with database technologies in: Relational Database Technologies (Oracle / Postgres / DB2 / SQL Server), NoSQL Technologies (Couchbase / Cassandra / MapR ), Data Replication Technologies (Goldengate / Kafka / IIDR) and CI/CD - DevOps - Automation Technologies (Jenkins / Bitbucket / Liquibase / Datical / Ansible / Elk / Docker)
- Hands-on data architecture, systems design, and database implementation experience for large applications (prefer experience with banking and/or financial applications)
- Passion for learning new technologies
- People and Technical leadership experience with proven Stakeholder management skills
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- Car Allowance/Company Car Option
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team onor 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time