American Express Careers
Director - Global Accounting Policy and Advisory
This director role within our Global Accounting Policy & Advisory (GAPA) Group acts as a technical accounting advisor to various lines of business and centers of excellence. The role provides US GAAP and IFRS accounting guidance to various business transactions.
The GAPA Director serves as a point of contact for the segment controllers, providing accounting, reporting and advisory services for transactions, new products and key business initiatives. Their objective is to enable business growth through timely, accurate and effective accounting and financial consultation and design, while ensuring a robust control environment.
This position offers excellent exposure to a diverse and talented team of controllership professionals who support a broad array of American Express businesses and products.
The primary responsibilities of the role are:
- Support the segment controllers by providing expert accounting guidance on complex accounting issues by researching accounting topics and otherwise assisting in the resolution of technical accounting issues as they arise.
- Assist in tracking technical accounting issues from inception to conclusion and, when necessary, present updates and obtain input from controllership leaders and the Company's auditors.
- Collaborate and review Memos for Record prepared by segment controllers.
- Support the development and implementation of technical accounting policies across the relevant segments.
- Assist in the impact assessment and implementation of newly issued US GAAP and IFRS accounting Standards.
- Assist the GAPA training team in developing and delivering training across the company on technical accounting matters
- Assist and at times manage special projects, including preparation of board presentations, development of training, coordination of group meetings and other initiatives as required.
- Eight years of professional accounting experience, including experience at a large public accounting firm, and strong technical accounting and advisory skills.
- An affinity and ability for developing strong relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; confident and engaging.
- Excellent leadership and collaborative skills, with the ability to generate action, influence decisions with limited authority and manage expectations in high-pressure situations.
- Strong technical understanding of US GAAP and IFRS, including the ability to develop optimal and compliant solutions to accounting and financial objectives and articulate complicated accounting concepts to a variety of audiences, many with minimal accounting knowledge.
- Preferred experience with revenue recognition, software capitalization, and leases.
- Strong financial acumen and preferably with experience of financial modeling or valuation.
- Good organization skills and a proactive working style; must have a demonstrated and proven ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a constantly changing and often fast-paced environment
- CPA, Chartered Accountant or equivalent required; MBA preferred.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 19, 2018, 3:15:13 PM